IGNORED

260z's auto ao manual tranny?

deedee

I have a question. I'm looking to buy a 74 260z with a auto tranny. I looked all over the internet and I can't find another auto 260z! Are they hard to find or what? All the 260z's I've seen on the internet are all manuals. Does the auto tranny add to the value of the car or not? DeeDee

I personally would prefer a manual but I'm not being choosie. When I find a good thing and can't be that choosie. I've been wanting a 74 260z. I will take what I can get. I was lucky to find the 260z, I can't be picky on the tranny type. I can put up with the auto tranny, one small thing I can deal with. DeeDee

Hrm... well I know I personally dismissed any listing claiming "auto" when I was searching for a Z... but I suppose I had that option because I wanted a 280, which are in greater numbers than 260's...

I just wanted to avoid more maintenance than I needed, and I just figured that an auto would be prone to need more TLC than a manual.

Hey though, a Z is a Z, auto or manual. Enjoy the ride.

Also, say, whereabouts in Minnesota are you?

I have a question. I'm looking to buy a 74 260z with a auto tranny. I looked all over the internet and I can't find another auto 260z! Are they hard to find or what? All the 260z's I've seen on the internet are all manuals. Does the auto tranny add to the value of the car or not? DeeDee

I have this theory . As time goes on the Z cars that have been abused and driven hard are the manual cars , for the most part . If you look at what is available , it seems the Zs with the auto transmissions are in better shape and better cared fore. I have a '73 and the first thing I was going to do is to change to a 5 speed. That was in '01 . I am just completing a complete redo of the car including a ZX engine but after driving the car on the street for a couple of years . I decided to keep the automatic. I like the manuals , and have driven them , but prefer my auto for street . On the twisties it is great and really I think it is a better performer. You can make the change and it is not to difficult , but drive the car for a while first. In traffic having to shift and so on is a whole lot less fun . The auto trans are tuff and will stand up . Unless you really abuse them , but the same is true with any tranny. I wouldent pass up a clean rust free because it was not a manual trans. if that was the only negetive.

I Live in Owatonna,Mn. The 260z is in really good shape. It's been in a barn sitting for about 10 years. I will change out all the fluids,Lubercate all the points that need it,Change all the hoses,put some cleaners in the new gas and the oil. The car runs,but hope sitting hasn't hurt anything.

DeeDee

If its a clean car then go for it. Get the best kept Z that you can find and then convert it to a 5spd when you get the time. Really doesn't cost much and only takes a few days to do. Thats working slowly and by yourself.

I probably have about 300.00 in my conversion but there are better deals to be had if you look around locally. Good luck

Thanks guys

I'm going to try to upload pics.I've been trying but my computer keeps saying it fails every time or locks up on me. I want to get new pics up of the car, I have 132 pics of the car. I'll try some more.DeeDee

Thanks guys

I'm going to try to upload pics.I've been trying but my computer keeps saying it fails every time or locks up on me. I want to get new pics up of the car, I have 132 pics of the car. I'll try some more.DeeDee

There seems to be a size limit of 1024x768 for images and perhaps a file size limit as well. Lot's of people have mentioned having trouble uploading pictures.