IGNORED

Top fasteners on taillight embelisher

TomoHawk

On my 240 which may be different than a 280 there were no screws only plastic rivets, interior were the larger size, exterier were the smaller....

The screws go in the rectangular vinyl-covered panel that attaches to the underside of the hatch near the taillights. From what I can tell there are actually two different size screws needed. Six of them (the four corners and the two in the middle) use larger screws that attach to holes directly in the sheet metal. The other four attach to speed nut clips instead and must be smaller for that reason. I just got through attaching mine using sheet metal screws that seem to work but would love to see photographs of the originals - along with what I think are metal grommet rings that the screws all go through. I just bought a variety of these fasteners at the hardware stored and used those that seemed like the best fit.

If I recall correctly, the rivets used on the tail-light finishers are just slightly different than the interior rivets. The ones on the finishers are just a dash smaller, almost imperceptible until you put them side by side.

If you were at a concours points show, you'd get a small deduct IF the judge / evaluator is aware of the difference.

E

Attached is a photo I took of the smaller rear tail light finishing panel rivets compared to the interior ones.

post-2033-14150795613999_thumb.jpg

The screws go in the rectangular vinyl-covered panel that attaches to the underside of the hatch near the taillights. From what I can tell there are actually two different size screws needed. Six of them (the four corners and the two in the middle) use larger screws that attach to holes directly in the sheet metal. The other four attach to speed nut clips instead and must be smaller for that reason. I just got through attaching mine using sheet metal screws that seem to work but would love to see photographs of the originals - along with what I think are metal grommet rings that the screws all go through. I just bought a variety of these fasteners at the hardware stored and used those that seemed like the best fit.

Hi Mike

Here's what I have in the '75 280z. This panel is unmolested.

post-2803-14150795623699_thumb.jpg

post-2803-14150795624097_thumb.jpg

post-2803-14150795624464_thumb.jpg

It's a little hard to tell from the picture but are those plastic rivets in the corners?

Yes, small plastic rivets in the corners and center locations. And, the screws have metal finishing washers (the ones that have the raised/radiused exposed portion). The same washers as discussed on this thread:http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?p=136918#post136918

Yes, small plastic rivets in the corners and center locations. And, the screws have metal finishing washers (the ones that have the raised/radiused exposed portion).

In that case I bet they're the same rivets that started this thread. I recall trying the larger interior rivets but those don't fit.