IGNORED

Top fasteners on taillight embelisher

TomoHawk

I got hit with penaties last weekend at a show because my taillight panel didn't have rivets (regular interior rivets) along the top? I saw one car with rivets there, but mine had button-head screws.

Which is correct?

thx

I'm taliking about the EXTERIOR panel BTW, Rob. not the one inside with the removeable shells for the lightbulbs.

So...

I need to remove the screws & put in rivets. Why'd you think the P.O. put in screws? They were honding well. I even took them out to polish the heads. On the other hand, rivets don't have threads to cut the metal underneath & rust.

The Murray's (discount auto) had some rivets that are really cheap & very close to the Datsun rivets, but look stringer & removeable (phillips-head)

Should we start using a new term for the "R-word?" LOL

The ones I saw at the car show Saturday were the same kind used for interior panels (black).

That's what the rivet in the photo is, and it's black! It's also THE original, "factory" rivet that was installed at the factory in May of 1975 (never been removed).

It's that old & still holding? wow...

I've been replacing stuff like rubber & plastic parts because the rubber is so dry & crumbles when you touch it, and the plastic stuff cracks if you touch (or bend/push) it.

thx

If I recall correctly, the rivets used on the tail-light finishers are just slightly different than the interior rivets. The ones on the finishers are just a dash smaller, almost imperceptible until you put them side by side.

If you were at a concours points show, you'd get a small deduct IF the judge / evaluator is aware of the difference.

E

If I recall correctly, the rivets used on the tail-light finishers are just slightly different than the interior rivets. The ones on the finishers are just a dash smaller, almost imperceptible until you put them side by side.

If you were at a concours points show, you'd get a small deduct IF the judge / evaluator is aware of the difference.

E

I do believe you're right. Good catch! :geek:

Also, aren't the eight (?) rivets that attach the hatch panel smaller as well?