IGNORED

'71 240 upgrade to 4 piston calipers????

DavidB

I was researching the MSA/or Toyota 4-caliper conversion for my 71' 240 and called MSA and inquired about any required modifications etc. I was especially interested in whether you needed to cut the dust shield, and if wheel spaacres are needed. My car has 14" Western Turbine style wheels.(I think 6.5" wide rims). Tires are 70 series, and are 185s. The MSA rep told me that their tech person said that their 4-calipers would not work with 14" rims. Has anyone done a 4-caliper conversion with 14" rims?

I have done it with my Enki92 14x7 rims. It's tight though. I think it depends on the wheels. I had wanted to do the vented disc swap at the same time, but that wasn't going to clear my rims either.

And yes, you have to cut the dust shield as the new caliper is bigger than the original. I used a dremmel and cuttting wheel. Took just a few minutes.

I used my stock rotors. With my 15 inch rims I have no clearence problems.

Also, on my banjo fittings I had both washers in place, but they still leaked. I just went back to the regular SS lines and bridge tubes I had before the conversion.

Miles

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice, but I decided to keep m' 71 with stock brakes. Put new a new MC, replaced a leaking rear wheel cylinder, replaced the front cailpers and pads, and I got brakes! Not great brakes but good enough for my weekend driving needs.

• 1 year later...

Why are ya'll having problems with stock brakes?

When properly configured, they work great! They are not as strong as a 2005 new car, but they work good...better than the descriptions mentioned here.

Possible air in lines? leaks?