IGNORED

Installing the Crane XR3000 Ignition System In A 72 240 Z

dhoneycutt

I must start this out by saying that I AM NOT a certified auto technician and as such cannot be held liable for any damage done to you or your vehicle while following this article. By using this article you assume all responsibility for your own safety and the well being of your vehicle. While I tried to the best of my knowledge to include the things that I thought were important this article is not all-inclusive. Proceed with caution and at your own risk but also please enjoy the fact that you will save money and have the sense of accomplishment a person gets from doing their own maintenance/repair work on their own vehicle.

Step 1. Read the instructions very carefully, then READ THEM AGAIN to fully understand what it is that you will be doing.

Step 2. Gather everything you need to get the job done. No one wants to have to stop in the middle of a task to go get something they forgot about.

The tools I used were:

Digital Camera (to take pictures of what I was taking apart so I could put it back together again) and to document the task.

Phillips head screwdriver

Flat head screwdriver

Offset Screwdriver

Wire cutters

Wire strippers

Wire crimpers

Soldering iron

Rosin core solder

Heat shrink tubing

Cordless drill

Small drill bit

Timing light

10 mm wrench

8 mm wrench

Silicone sealant

Step 3. Disconnect the negative battery terminal from the battery.

Step 4. Take some pictures of how everything is BEFORE you start into the installation. This will help you if you run into trouble and need to put it back the way it was.

NOTE: Now is a good time to replace those old and worn sparkplug wires. Have the FSM (Factory Service Manual or other repair manual such as Haynes, Clymer etc.) handy.

Step 5. Take the distributor cap off by prying loose the two clips holding the cap onto the distributor body. (See photo 1 & 2). Inspect for wear or damage. If any, replace it with a new one.

Step 6. Take note of the position of the rotor. (See photo 3).

Step 7. Take the rotor off and inspect it. If it is worn replace it with a new one.

Step 8. Remove condenser located on the outside of the distributor housing using the offset screwdriver.

Step 9. Reinstall the screw from step 9 back into the hole you just took it out of.

Step 10. Unscrew the ground wire on the point’s side only and move it out of the way.

Step 11. Take the points out.

post-4557-14150795504514_thumb.jpg

post-4557-14150795504681_thumb.jpg

post-4557-14150795504851_thumb.jpg

post-4557-14150795505026_thumb.jpg

post-4557-14150795505191_thumb.jpg