IGNORED

Tire selection help please

dat240z71

I have a 71 240zt with 14X7 wheels, I need to get new tires this week and would like some opinion on size and brand please. I do a lot of street driving, what I looking for a good performance tire at a reasonable price. I have been looking at Falken Azenis but they only come in 195-60-14 I was hoping to get a little bigger tire. I did fine the Falken ZE-512 but don't know much about it. Any help on brand and size would be greatly appreciated. thanks

car spec.

71 240zt

10psi boost

220 rwhp

LSD

14X7 wheels

There is the performace Yokohama tire (not sure of the name) that has steel reinforced side walls and it comes in 205 by 60. I have heard that they are great tires and they don't cost a whole lot either. What is the offset of your wheels?

Those are really big tires that are on the car now, I think the wheels have a minus offset but I am not 100% sure on that. What size tires are on the wheels now? I wouldn't go any bigger than what you have. Right now I have a set of Kumho's touring tires on my car and I like them. They are comfortable, have good performance in the rain, but I have not fully tested them in the dry to tell you if they are good performers.

Ben

The offset of the wheels will affect the size you can run. Zero offset and the tyre will rub on the guards if they are too big. I ran 235's all around and had to roll the rears. I'm now running nissan 6 spokes and the 235's fit on the back no worries (12.5mm offset), but on the front there is about 5mm from the tyre sidewall to the spring perch. If you add a set of G-flares, you could run some big rubber on the car with a zero offset wheel.

I have narrow my tire choices down to these two does anyone have any experience or knowledge about them. please give me some feedback

http://victoriatire.com/tires.html?cart=111874722117688878&BRAND=Falken&NAME=Azenis%20Sport

http://victoriatire.com/tires.html?cart=111874722117688878&BRAND=Falken&NAME=Ziex%20ZE-512%20%2860%20Series%29

I run 206/60/14 on 14x7 with a -12 offset and do not have a rubbing problem. IMO the Yokohama ES 100 is the tire to go with in the 205/60 size, it is the most performance available with out going to a race tire. If you change to a 15" wheel the tire choices are much better.

Get your tires 'siped'...I got my new ones siped and it makes a noticeable difference on the performance of your tires. check out http://www.lesschwab.com/Siping.html

Les Schwab is more of a Pacific NW/Cal place...not sure if anyone else is doing this, but on my 205/60/14's (nothing special) I got this done....they are some of the grippiest feeling tires I've ever had...ESPECIALLY in the rain....completely different in the rain that you are used to using.

I have narrow my tire choices down to these two does anyone have any experience or knowledge about them. please give me some feedback Falken Azenis Falken Ziex

I'm running both. The Azenis are on the roadster, 14X6 - 195/60/14. This car is my canyon carver and these tires are as good or better than any other Iv'e used at twice the price - Treadwear 200

I have 2 sets of 512's. One set on my old wheel set 14X5.5 - 195/60/14 and my new SSR's 15X7 - 225/60/15. These ar great all purpose tire. Although, "All Purpose" has a different meaning to me than others. It has great grip and acceptable treadwear for my daily drive needs and doesn't suck on the canyons either treadwear 360?

I'm in the same boat in regards to looking for new tires. I'm considering going to a set of 205/65-15 tires on my 73 240Z and wondering if anyone can comment on the fit.

In my search I came across a tire survey done by The Tire Rack that has proven helpful in trying to decide on the manufacturer. The Yokohama Avid V4 and H4 were rated the 1st and 3rd respectively in this survey.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=HPAS

I just visited a local store, The Discount Tire Company today and they quoted me a price of $74 per tire on the H4.

I also found the tire calculator on the Miata web site helpful:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalcold.html

Good Luck

I'm in the same boat in regards to looking for new tires. I'm considering going to a set of 205/65-15 tires on my 73 240Z and wondering if anyone can comment on the fit.

I am running 215/60/15's with no problem.... 65 height is a bit taller, however, I don't think that will cause a problem.