IGNORED

The R380 outside Japan

g72s20

Alan you don't happen to have the ISBN of the Car Graphic book? I would love to get my hands on a copy

Hi Mike,

Sorry, it does not have an ISBN number....

It was published on 24th November 1979, and actually it was an AUTOSPORT magazine 'Bes-satsu' special publication ( not Car Graphic - my mistake ). You will have to search for it with Japanese vintage book dealers, or on net auctions.

Alan, do you suppose there is any direct relationship between this prototype and the S30 cars? Maybe its just me but I sure see a Fairlady in there. Look at how the A pillar comes down to the front wing. Its almost a dead ringer. The roof line is very similar too.

Missing link indeed!

Thanks,

Chris

Before I read your post Chris, I thought the same thing, but didn't feel game enough to say it...
I'm glad others have noticed the striking similarity in design.

When I first noticed the thumbnails, the same thought went through my mind.

Any details on who designed this & was there any relationship to the S30 design team?

The A680X certainly deserves a whole new thread topic on its own.

I reckon you could argue it several different ways, both 'for' and 'against' influencing the design of the S30-series Z cars. What is without doubt is that the styling of the A680X was influenced by that of the Ferrari 275GTB, and that Matsuo has quoted the Ferrari as a design he was influenced by. Probably a case of everybody ( including other Italian design / styling houses ) looking at Pininfarina's styling of the 275GTB of 1964 and being affected by it.

I reckon that Matsuo must have known about the A680X and seen it, and would have been influenced by its existence one way or another ( whether he admits it or not ). I think its shape would certainly illustrate the 'zeitgeist' in car design at that point, and if you got a schoolboy anywhere in the world during 1965 & 1966 to draw a 'dream car' it might very well look like the Ferrari 274GTB.........

The A680X was being developed as a race special rather than a high volume production car, and you would have to say that in some respects it was already fairly old-fashioned by 1966. Nissan certainly went the right way when they absorbed PMC and the Prince R380 sports racer projects, and went the way of monocoques and rear engines.....

I don't know all that much about the car, but its mechanical spec was very interesting.

Alan hit the nail on the head concerning Zeitgeist of design in the middle sixties. Several cars look very similar. I don't subscribe to any theory that any of these cars had anything to do with Matsuo's design. Let me show you some pictures.

First the common picture comparison including Alan's comment about the Ferrari.

Then two pictures - a Maserati and Model C-3 - both from 1966. Matsuo conveyed to me how shocked he was to see the Maserati and how similar it was to the models he was working on.

Finally, a Matsuo design sketch.

Sure there are similarities, but that is pretty much where it ends. Matsuo was influenced, of course, as any designer would be. However, there is no historical basis to conclude a specific derivation. Matsuo was not involved in any of the R380 work that was going on at the time. He was working within an independent studio. There is historical basis to show how the unique design identity of the S30 evolved.

post-4148-14150795334093_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150795334274_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150795334397_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150795334511_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Sean,

The engine info is in this thread already....

R380 ( I ) & R380-II = GR8 engine

R381 ( temporary engine ) = Dean Moon-prepped SB Chevrolet V8

R381 ( finally perfected ) = Nissan GRX V12

R382 = Nissan GRX V12

R383 = Nissan GRX V12

A fair amount of pics and info in this thread :

Thread with Nissan R380 sports racer info

Note: Nissan raced the R380-series sports prototypes in Japan, Australia, S. America and South Africa, but never on mainland USA.

If you need any more specific info, let me know. I might have what you need.

Mr T,

I'm looking for more in depth tech spec, eg a V12 but running what compression, dry sump etc..... and a tech spec of the car - suspension, brakes, dimensions incl weight etc.

The original request was for the R380 but that's in part because I only knew about that one !

I thought I read that the R380 did turn a wheel in the States (are we being finnicky here and saying "yes, but it never raced" ?) !

Sean

ps, Belated, but your pictures from Gama and Ginza and others' contribution to this thread are fabulous - a Z convention over there with a day in each 'museum' would be worth saving up for...!

• 2 years later...

Hi Alan, you made two statements about R380 being raced in South Africa. I can not find any information on my - south African - side that could confirm that. It would only make sense for Nissan to enter those cars into "Springbok Series" or at last to compete in Kyalami 9h - like they did in 73 with Z cars. Could you please elaborate on your statement.

Thank you. Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Martin for the fourth year on a row we been racing in the Classic Spingbok Series in South Africa , I was at Zwartkops ( Pretoria ) and Killarney ( Cape Town ) for three weeks ago and we had a real good time for four years ,

Next year again , and i try to take my 240z down to race it .

Regards Ad Verkuijlen , www.va-motorsport.com www.va-motorsport.com