IGNORED

How to test a flasher?

Ed

Anyone have an idea of how to test a turn signal flasher to see if it's working properly? I just bought a brand new flasher. When I installed it the turn signals stay on and don't flash. I tried testing it like this: first I connected a wire to the negative terminal on a battery, the other end of the wire went to the flasher, from the other terminal on the flasher a wire went to a light bulb then to the positive terminal on the battery. The light just stayed on, no flashing.

Hi Ed,

Using a Grote 44530 flasher, I hooked the positive side of a 12 volt battery to one of the leads on a test bulb. The other bulb lead went to the X terminal on the flasher. Then a wire from the L terminal on the flasher goes to the negative side of the battery. The lamp flashed. Hopefully your flasher is marked like mine was. I can only assume this would work for you.

Good luck,

Chris

post-5906-14150795149109_thumb.gif

I think the Datsun flasher is very simple and inexpensive. I remember having a 82 Honda that needed a flasher. I go into the Honda dealer and ask for a flasher. He returns and I go to pay the bill and the lady says, "$36.90". I say "WHAT? How can a Honda flasher be so much money?" I go back to the parts guy and he tells me it is a computer. A COMPUTER! "I say thank you but no thanks!" I go out to the 'yard' and find one and pay $4 for it. The yards people do not know these things are computers, thank you lord! Let hear it for the old cheap Datsun flasher!

Has anyone had trouble finding the standard 240 Z flasher? I had to order one from the local Shucks. They say it should be a Beck Arnley part, but the warehouse sent em something else, that did not fit ( prong holes were at right angles, not paralell) There is no listing for one in the MSA catalog.

They say it should be a Beck Arnley part, but the warehouse sent em something else, that did not fit ( prong holes were at right angles, not paralell)

The lugs on my flasher are at right angles as well but it doesn't matter. It doesn't plug into a socket; there are just two wires with female space connectors that attach to the flasher itself.