IGNORED

Apexi S-AFC .. results... it works! sort of...

PrOxLaMuS©

330795_174_full.jpg

This is the wiring diagram I used for the Apexi S-AFC... everything ran.. um.. OK..

the sensor monitor settings showed an accurate display of the RPMS as well as the AFM voltage... power.. ground etc.

NO Tach adapter needed!

So it works.. but.. one problem...

no matter what settings I used... i had extreme lean spikes.. and intake backfire's over 1,200 RPM.

I spent a good hour tuning and adjusting the increments... adding more fuel.. decreasing etc. I went through every possible setting I could change, without much luck.

I noticed that it diffenatly works... like if I chose -10% at 1,000RPM it basically takes away 10% of the fuel from the baseline fuel map. So the more i dropped it down, the closer it got to dying.. and a lower RPM.

So after a weeks long research.. and a few hours in the garage.. wiring it (took 15 minutes) and trying to tune it.. not much luck...

the Apexi simply doesn't like our Flap AFM.. even with the FLAP settings.. i also changed from hot wire sensor settings and that Karm. setting...

No luck...

SO the conlusion is... it works.. yes.. not very well.. and causes massive lean spikes at idle.. causing intake back-fires..

Could be a tuning fault from myself.. but I tell ya I went through every setting I possibly could.. so I removed the S-AFC and I am back to normal ECU.. or could of been a bad connection.. but i soldered everything on

Thanks for all of your help

this device doesnt really claim for horsepower bumps..

But it is basically a Air/Fuel ratio "knob"

The Apexi S-AFC intercepts the AFM signal, and allows me to modify it to my choice.. then sends it back to the ECU...

so it "tricks" the ECU by telling it it has more air than it really has, which means to add more fuel.

I can tune it to +10% and it adds 10% more fuel...

I think I have found out what was wrong with it.. but time to go back and re-do it all ;)

SAFC dont supply any pefromace benefits out of the box.

As far as I know they are for cars running higher that factory turbo boost settings, and allow you to adjust the air fuel ratio for the higher boost setting, where the factory computer would otherwise supply normal air/fuel mix, but under increased boost it would be to lean. So the SAFC allows you to trick the computer under highter bosst into supplying more fuel to the mix.

So unless your cars turboed and modified, you dont really need one. And if you have a programmable engine managment computer you wouldnt need one either.

Ummm... it's for turbo and boosted applications...

BUT it's not designed for TURBO cars...

The Apexi SAFC is used for tons of N/A applications, especially if you upgrade with bigger injectors...

in my case, I had some 440cc fuel injectors which I was planning on bolting on, and the Apexi S-AFC would control how much fuel would be spit in the engine... so I didn't run too rich or too lean..

yes it does display RPM, Throttle Position on a graph or percent, and Air Flow data etc etc... it is really cool how it works..

I thought they were used with turbos, as i've only seen them on turbo cars. A couple of friends of mine have twin turbo supras. One has the dash mount one with the big readout to keep the passengers amused, the other has a simple one thats just an adjustor knob and a couple of l.e.d.'s. They use them to supply more fuel at high boost.

SAFC can be used on both NA or turbo cars as long as its equipped with Air Flow Meters. I think SAFC stands for "super air flow controller"?

Craig - there are benefits of using SAFC even at factory boost levels. I have seen a number of cars on dyno runs that are running rich A/F ratios on stock ECU. I think the factory tunes the cars rich to build in some safety into standard cars.