IGNORED

Thinking of installing an 81-83 5 speed

I guess they don't; email them and let them know you'd get one if you could...that's how they get parts to be made after a long hiatus anyways.

As you can see in the picture, those brackets are really all this is about, and a longer shifter from the hole to the pivot on the end that goes into the tranny. If you could machine both of those, and get good, you'd sell a lot of 'em on here!

The "Longer throws" are only associated with the Borg Warner T-5 tranmission from the Turbo ZX's. The standard 5 FS5W71B will shift so much like the stock 4 speed, the only real indication is the momment you shift into 5th gear! It's a win/win and a "Drop in". the overdrive is a gas saver on the freeway. However, with the exception of the fith gear, the 4 speed ratios are hard to beat. Nissan put some real thought into the engineering of that 4 speed box.

the distance between the hole it pivots on and the ball that inserts into the tranny is different....you need the brackets for each side that make up for the difference...those brackets are shaped differently for the newer tranny...hence why you can't use it...your shifter just doesn't make any difference.

Actually Dogma420, the 1979 and 1980 280ZX was also a "WIDE RATIO" 5 speed. Just like the 77/78 Z's. The TRUE 5 speed with the taller/stronger 5th gear that helps cut RPMs down, saving engine wear/gas ect. was started in 1981 - 1983. Then of course the '83 ZX TURBO's came with the Borg Warner T5.

I love my original Wide Ratio trans. thats currently in it but I want to lower my RPMs a bit @ highway cruises. I got the 3.9 differential in her now so the RPMs are up there with that early 5 speed. If memory serves me right it's at about 3,200 at 70 or 75 MPH. With that 81-83 ZX tranny she will run much lower RPMs on freeway cruises which will save on engine wear & gas. I am aware though that I will not get as much "Kick" at take off due to the taller 1st and 2nd gears on the later ZX trans. but I don't mind that as much. My goal is to get lower RPMs on the freeway :)

Yeah, that sucks M.S.A. no longer has the short shifter for later 5 speeds. I actually don't find the stock Z transmissions to have that wide of a shift pattern. I'm very happy with the way the stock Nissan 5 speeds shift. My $0.02 cents.

Thanks Again for the replies. zguitar71, thanks for the heads up. I'll take a look at Z Barn.

LaterZ

I have that trans in my 78. It came out of an 82 Maxima. I really don't notice much of an acceleration difference in the lower gears, not do I notice any difference in the throw. That might be because my shifter bushings were shot in the old trans so I can't really compare it to the newer one. But I do notice the gas mileage and rpm difference with the higher fifth gear. I bought mine used eight years ago and haven't had any problems with it.

I am preparing to put a "78 5 Spd into my early '71. I have already obtained a shifter, with the proper bends to avoid hitting the trans tunnel.

One thing that I need to confirm, is what clutch slave to use. From what I have researched so far, I believe I should keep the 240Z adjustable slave, correct??? I am keeping the 240Z clutch/throw-out bearing.

TIA,

Marty

I am preparing to put a "78 5 Spd into my early '71. I have already obtained a shifter, with the proper bends to avoid hitting the trans tunnel.

One thing that I need to confirm, is what clutch slave to use. From what I have researched so far, I believe I should keep the 240Z adjustable slave, correct??? I am keeping the 240Z clutch/throw-out bearing.

TIA,

Marty

Marty, If I remember correctly, you will want to use the 78 5spd tranny clutch fork assembly in your conversion...not the 71 4spd fork assy. I believe the 4 spd fork assy (in the 5spd) does not provide enough travel for proper clutch disengagement. Come on Victor L...help me out here!!!