IGNORED

Screeching alternator belt at WOT

EricB

Am I the only one to have this? the belt is new - it's properly tightened - the smog pump and its belt has been removed and yet whenever the weather gets hot and I step on it the think gets loud as heck. Make it extra tight because the smog pump isn't pulling on it the other way??? other tricks/solutions?

-e

Well, this may sound like a stupid question but it has happened before. Is the belt in the right groove on the crank pulley? Or it could be the pulley's aren't lined up properly. Only other thing I can think of is try a little belt dressing on it or try another type of belt. I prefer the belts with the grooved V instead of the full V belt. Could be the bearings in the alternator are giving up and letting the pulley "wobble". Perhaps if you have had the alternator bracket off recently the spacers weren't put back in the proper place. I'd try a little dressing first, if you can find it try the solid dressing, not the aerosol kind. It comes in a stick and you just rub it against the belt. If that doesn't help it's time to start looking for another cause.

Ya, use the 'soap' method. :)

I used to carry a bar of soap with me when I was in High School. I was driving a '68 Ford F150 and it used to squeal like a fat pig all the time. I'd have to get under that hood and hold the bar of soap against the belt at least once every few days.