IGNORED

help with setting timing

deadflo

I just got an advance timing light, and while I located the notches on the crank pulley, Im not sure which notch corresponds to which timing setting. Can someone help me out? Also what is everyone stting their timing at? I know their is different information for emmissions and non emmsions cars. This is a USA vehicle (a 71) all stock, save exhaust and removal of air pump.

I just got an advance timing light, and while I located the notches on the crank pulley, Im not sure which notch corresponds to which timing setting. Can someone help me out? Also what is everyone stting their timing at? I know their is different information for emmissions and non emmsions cars. This is a USA vehicle (a 71) all stock, save exhaust and removal of air pump.

On the pulley there is a small nick which is on the exterior rim of the wheel. It is easiest if you mark the notch with something like a paint marker, makes it easier to see when timing. If you roll the car in neutral, and push it slowly, and watch the wheel, you should see the small notch eventually. I guess if you don'y it doesnt really matter beacuse once you get the timing gun going you should see it anyways.

The haynes manual recommends 10 degrees at 550rpms idle, although that is slow, most have theirs set to about 750rpms. Hope this helps