IGNORED

New Brakes NO stop,

Capt Mark

Ok here it goes.....

The car has not run for five years, bringing it back to life......

I completely opened and fushed the lines, installed a NEW master, NEw rear wheel cylinders, NEW brakes and hardware all around, bled it out 3 times, there is NO air in the system, no leaks, everything looks like it should.

Could the brake booster be bad? How do I check it? any other ideas?

Thx Capt Mark

Even if the booster was bad, you would still have brakes-not nearly as good as with the booster, but standing on the pedal would stop the car.

here are some suggestions

1) To check the booster, pull off the hose hoing from it to the intake manifold(take it loose at the manifold.) suck on it-the vacuum should not leak down, if it does, the diafram is broken.

2) Did you take the booster out of the car? If so, there is a pin inside it that holds the linkage that has probably fallen out-it is a pain in the azz to get back in.

3) Did you bleed the master cyl. by its self? Sounds like that is here your air is if you didn't.

Will

Thanks Will, .....I bled the master out on the bench, I did not pull the booster, the pin is in the correct position and if I pump it 3 times is does stop, I just do not have apedal.....I will check and see booster is bad.

If pumping it three times makes it stop then I'd say you've got more bleeding to do. As Will said, even without the booster the brakes should still work. You can verify this by removing the vacuum hose from the booster. You loose the power assist but you can still brake the car.

Having had a similar experience, I can say that my problem was reinstalling the calipers with the bleed valve on the bottom. Had spongy brakes and no stopping power until i flipped 'em over and got the last little bits of air out. I guess looking at the service manual during the reinstall would have saved me the trouble.....LOL

Are your calipers on properly?

X

"1) To check the booster, pull off the hose hoing from it to the intake manifold(take it loose at the manifold.) suck on it-the vacuum should not leak down, if it does, the diafram is broken."

I went out and hooked a vacum up to the boost and got zero, I bled out the system 4 times....I primed all the line with a vac the had some pump and hold the pedal with a hose in the cup method. No air in the system....... BUT the car was not running will this make the difference.......

You didn't respond to xray's post, so I'll ask the question again. Did you confirm that the calipers are installed on the correct sides of the car like xray mentioned? The calipers can be mounted upside down. The bleed nipples MUST be at the TOP of the calipers or you'll never get all the air out of them