IGNORED

need help with tranny swap

m240

I have a 73 240 w/auto tranny and I want to put an engine and manual tranny into it from a 71 240. Will the clutch slave and master cylinders just bolt in or is there some cutting and drilling to be done? I've never done anything like this before but I've been waiting a month for someone to do it. Also will the shifter mount cleanly in the same spot as the auto and which drive shaft to use? Any help is really appreciated! Thanks!

I'll have to compare my car to my friends '72 240 auto parts car. I've got a busy weekend planned so it may not be until next week but I am sure I will be able to answer most all the questions. Of course if someone else beats me to it, all the better!

Have a good one!

there is a spot that should already be there you just have to cut it out for the clutch master cylinder. you will also need your 4 or 5 speed, your steeling line, sensors and speedo cable, clutch flywheel and so on, and pedal set for the clutch. do know but i would be sure the mounts are different. that about all i can think of now its early LOL

I forgot to mention that the 71 engine and tranny are in a complete parts car, so i "should?" have everything that i need. what i need to know is there anything special that needs to be done to fit the clutch stuff in the 73 and if the wiring is going to be the same. i am mechanicaly inclined but i am not a mechanic and i don't want to get in over my head. Thanks again!!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I finally got over and took a look at my buddies '72 automatic parts car. I forgot to look at the trany mounts but I would be surprised if the mount point would be any different. You may just need to get the mount with the gearbox. Also, looks like the peddle box and clutch master cylinder will go right in. The plumbing to the clutch slave cylinder look pretty simple, although the metal tab comming off the frame where the hard line meets the soft line does not appear to be there on the automatic. Nothing a little welding wouldn't fix. Looks like you shouldn't have to much trouble.

One more thing, you said you are getting the motor and trans from a '71 240Z. If it has the original '71 4-speed I would recommend you go with the later '72 or newer 4-speed or 5-speed. The design is different and I had my original 4-speed rebuilt 2 times and it broke again before I gave up and went to the later style box. It may have been that I just had a lemon but the fact that after '72 Nissan used the same basic design on the 4-speeds and 5-speeds up to '83 leads me to believe I was not the only one having problems. I got my 280Z 5-speed from a junk yard and it lasted 10 years, although 2nd gear is starting to get a little crunchy. If you are on a budget and cannot afford the 5-speed you should be able to find a late 4-speed quite resonably. You could probably find one local to you but if not I have a couple for sale for $50/ea so if you are anywhere near Sacramento, CA USA let me know.

Have fun!

Thanks for the info on the 4 speed. I'm in the pittsburgh area so i think i'll look around here for a 5 speed. Does the 5 speed shifter line up in the same hole in the tunnel?

Mark

Yes, it is not really worth it to ship them. The early 4-speeds '70 & '71 models years have the shifter further back. But the '72 - '83 4-speeds and 5-speeds, with the exception of the T-5, are the same length and use the same shifter location. In fact you can use the slave cylinder, shifter, drive shaft, etc.

Have fun!