IGNORED

Wiring diagram... 78 280Z

wal280z

do you have a list of what all the pin numbers to the ecu mean- as in what the heck they go to?

I am in the process of wiring a gm icm in place of the transistor ignition unit- to hook up to the distributor to convert the analog signal to a digital signal to send to a gm ecu in place of the factory nissan/datsun ecu.

This is so i can tune the eprom chip and the highly tunable 7730 gm ecu.

dnftt!!

look all I wanted was to know is if anyone (particularly the main poster) had what all the 35 pins actually were/what they went to on the ecu. That's it - its topic related.

Also I ordered one of those full color wiring diagrams off that site that was under that link.

So I am still missing what you are referencing. Posts like that just cause flame wars and the like and gets you kicked off of forums. You are being completely inappropriate. If you would not mind I would appreciate it if we could go back to the topic.

No flame war unless you start it. You've talked about putting snow tires on a Z, putting a 455 in a Z, and now putting a GM ecu in a vehicle that it wasn't designed for. This could likely be done with the appropriate research skills and expense but I doubt if you'll find anyone who had done such a swap here. Plus you didn't say the year of the Z you are working on. Pin arrangements differ from year to year, 75-83. Your prior posts were about a 70(?). And it's been almost 6 years since you last posted until yesterday. You can see how one would come to the conclusion I did. Would you like me to reference your previous posts?

Edited by sblake01

I read a lot so i don't post a lot. 6shooter has done this already but I cannot seem to get a hold of him. I don't have the 70' anymore that's gone i bought a 240sx a while ago rewired the entire car for a dohc swap that is now sold.

Now i have a 78 280z - 83k bought it last year with 79996 original miles. I had to replace the alternator, a wire for a relay, and i have a cai on it now. Also i fixed the iacv also it was missing the hose to the intake. Now the thing runs better than my 2000 civic si which is my daily driver, it has a b16a sirII motor swapped with the stock short gear hydro trans.

The plans have gone all over the place for this z since i bought it last year. I was going to put in a v8 then maybe a ka24de, now after LOTS and LOTS of reading discussing and research; I have found that the disi i have send the same signal as the gm hei (it has 6 teeth and a magnetic pickup in it) all i have to do is tap into the pickup coil and hook them to the two inputs on the gm icm for the pickup coil/sensor (all the icm does is translate a analog signal to a digital signal) then wire the gm ecu to the gm icm as well as match the pins to what they go to for the gm ecu to the datsun harness. Its actually more simple than it sounds. I just need a good correct wiring diagram for my z which from that link that posted I have purchased and should be here in about 5 days. If that does not have a pin out correlation chart akin to what michelle or alldata has it will be very helpful to know what all the pinouts are on the factory datsun/nissan ecu are that way all I have to do is wire it up to the gm ecu.

If i remember correct I may need some sensors that the 280z does not come with factory, also there also are a few sensors the gm ecu does not read based on the signal. All I have to do is swap those out for gm sensors.

The sensors and ecu DO NOT care what engine they are on they are designed to send a signal based on whatever they are trying to read. Map manifold absolute pressure, the o2 sensor reads a temp and the ecu translates it, the intake temp sensor sends a similar signal to the ecu and so on.

Does this make sense to you?

also a LOT happens in 6 years man.

Edited by vega

Note - Vega, do not read any flames into this post.

First, your post really should have been put on a new topic. While I can see how your post could loosely follow how the thread changed, it's moved far away from the origin post and therefore less likely to get a good response.

Second, you will probably find more information and help over at hybridz when you want to do things like incorporate a GM ECU. This is more of a traditionalist site. Just make sure you search before posting there. They don't tolerate repetition very well.

Good luck with your experimentation.

• Like 1

Does this make sense to you?
It all makes sense to me. I don't need a lesson in automotive theory. I've been around cars a while and even have a few automotive certifications. That wasn't my point. Evidentally the logic of my previous posts don't make sense to you. Be that as it may, why use an OBDI compliant ECU like the 7730? Yes, it's better than the ananlog JECS setup but why not go to something OBDII compliant? Either way, you'll have to add components to facilitate the use of either system and though the 7730 would be less costly and easier to set up, the OBDII system would be far more tuneable. I have three different tunes, besides the stock one, that I use on my GTO. And it takes less that 5 minutes to change from one to another. Can't do that with a 7730, at least, not that quickly or easily. One other thing. If you're ultimately going to use the 7730, wouldn't it be more important to know it's pinouts rather than the JECS pinouts since you'd be removing that system anyway? This is really more rhetorical than anything else and I don't really need the answers since I don't ever plan to do such a conversion. And if I was, I would do my own research and development/fabrication etc. Just stuff to think about. I'm done with this one. Like Steve said, good luck with your experimentation. Edited by sblake01