IGNORED

Wiring diagram... 78 280Z

wal280z

• 1 year later...

• 3 years later...
Scanned image of the '78 280Z wiring diagram (the one that folds out in the back of the FSM).

400dpi resolution, *.tif format (inside the zip file).

Please remember that the '78 is different from the other year S30 models.

Wayne

have a 78 fuel injection that I'm trying to put back on 77 280z. Having a hard time as the harness was cut off and doesn't seem to match the wires from the 78. Appreciate the diagram, but color might be easier to read. Or anyway to build the 2 part connectors (not an electrician) just need some guidance. Not sure I'm making any sense...

Let me know if you have any input. Have the Fuel injection manual (80 pages worth) and a 77 full color diagram, just want to know if there was anything different with the 78 as it seems to be?

cheers

Mark

mark@macwiseguy.com

There are some differences. 78's don't have fuel pump contacts in the air flow meter, 78's have an internally regulated alternator. Some pins used on the ECU connector on a 77 are not used on a 78. In short, you would need to use the correct year diagram.

so should I use the 77 diagram or the 78? The fuel injection is off the 78 and the blocks of wires that should connect to the fuel injection relay near the foot pedal were cut so have to match it up to the 77? Seems hard to find a genuine 78 manual. Have found many previous years (Have a complete 77 color diagrame) and the fuel injection manual.

Appreciate your input. Probably have helped with what you have said already.

thanks much

Mark

If I recall correctly, the 78 has the FI relays at the relay center (aka beer can holder) underneath the hood whereas the 77 (as you know) has the FI relay near the steering wheel inside the cabin.

Not sure what other differences apply - but the 78 is not a 'plug and play' to anything earlier.

Use both diagrams to identify connectors and their specific uses, and you will need to splice as you go. Obviously, it would be better to get the correct harness, but it sounds like your passenger cabin harness is already hacked to mate with the 78 FI harness...

I think I have a 77 FI harness that has been hacked if you want it for postage - PM me if you want it and I will confirm it's whereabouts...

Most of the car is a 77, but the fuel injection and exhaust manifold is 78. They had cut the control unit on the 77 because someone had put carbs on it. I was trying to use my 78 Fuel injection and so it seems there will be some splicing involved. I think about it too much and I go cross eyed. Thanks for all the continued input. It does help

Mark

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Do you have a list of what all the pin numbers to the ecu mean- as in what the heck they go to?

I am in the process of wiring a gm icm in place of the transistor ignition unit- to hook up to the distributor to convert the analog signal to a digital signal to send to a gm ecu in place of the factory nissan/datsun ecu.

This is so I can tune the eprom chip and the highly tunable 7730 gm ecu.