IGNORED

New Monthly Poll

hls30.com

I placed the poll on another thread. please respond there!!!!

Does using "FACTORY"(Sorry Mike(and Carl), I just had to get the F-word in the first poll) interchanged parts in a restoration hurt its authenticity? Why or Why not in the thread, strict answer on the poll.

For example:

Using a part that came on a '77 that is now the Nissan authorized replacement on a '71.

Will

Is this the poll? Well I'd have to say to the die hard purtist, yes it hurts the authenticity but to the desperate restorer with no other choice then No. To someone who's not a ZCCA fanatic, then you do what you have to do to make the car as correctest (thanks Chris) as possible.

JMO

Vicky

Carl,

What is it with you and instructions?

Oops, I meant me and instructions, so far The only reigns and direction I have are:

"Ok will... you got it. You're now the monthly poll moderator. ;) Come up with some good stuff. Keep it related to our site and rated PG. hehe"

I posted a poll in the thread, and I assume Mike has to place it on the front page.

As to my answer on the poll (see the third line of this post), it depends on the use of the car.

If its only mileage is from rolling out of the garage and onto a trailer and back, then it needs parts from its closest clones, if it is curb art, then appropriate "Factory" replacement parts used in later(or earlier) models are fine.

By the same token, I don't believe any judge (or buyer) will open up a subsystem to see if the guts of the oilpump, alternator, crankshaft, wiper motor or the valve seals have been changed out when the pieces on the outside look visually correct. How many restored "as original" cars have the correct paint(not just color)? Paint is a part that came on the car, it is listed in the Fiche!

I seem to recall our most detail oriented member hiding something under a label...and not getting flagged for having the label where there shouldn't have been one. No foul called there, and it was a show!

Will

He wasn't in the stock class, Will. Good move on his part. He "got away" with lots of "modifications" in the daily driver class.

My opinion about correctness has only to do with show car judging and beer drinking conversation. In the stock class "correctest" rules and you make a good observation - it's a visual thing. No one is going to tear down my engine. On the other hand, I'm going to great lengths to have my original 40 amp alternators rebuilt rather than simply replacing them with modern 50 amp units which I can still buy.

Correctness is also a great subject whilst swizzling beer and carousing with your Z buddies. It's like a game. On the one hand, it makes for great pride in the effort it took to make it right and on the other hand, a great opportunity to use the POS word.

But to answer your poll directly - with my opinion - a '73 replacement part that is not identical to the original '71 part is not appropriate for authenticity boasting rights.

If you wanted this thread to have a poll, you needed to select that by going to 'Our Club' or whatever heading in the forums and click the 'new thread' button, scroll down and select 'yes, post a poll with this thread' or however it's worded.