IGNORED

"Driver of the Year?"

TomoHawk

Go to Speedtv.com to vote for "Driver if the year" :

http://speedtv.com/features/591/

Even though there are only two are real drivers that know how to turn both left AND right. LOL From the TV commercial, I recognized the names they dropped as NASCAR drivers ( NOT real driving) there's only one IRL, one champ-car (aka nascar), and one outlaw driver. he list is so short, they shouldn't even have bothered to have a vote! Can somebody pass on the complaint for me (somebody with contacts there?)

Apparently, you have to vote for on of THEIR picks, which is probably not theone you want to vote for. Their criteria for selection seems a little off to. And they don't give you the opportunity to write-in your own suggestions, so they can adapt their selections for next time.

I wanted to vote for Sebastian Loeb, or Colin McRae, or somebody like that. WRC rdiving ( or those guys doing the DAKAR race) ris about the most diffucult stuff I can think of, even though the co-driver tells you what to do... :D

thx

Even though there are only two are real drivers that know how to turn both left AND right. From the TV commercial, I recognized the names they dropped as NASCAR drivers ( NOT real driving) there's only one IRL, one champ-car (aka nascar), and one outlaw driver. he list is so short, they shouldn't even have bothered to have a vote! Can somebody pass on the complaint for me (somebody with contacts there?)

Apparently, you have to vote for on of THEIR picks, which is probably not the one you want to vote for. Their criteria for selection seems a little off to. And they don't give you the opportunity to write-in your own suggestions, so they can adapt their selections for next time.

Isn't SPEED TV owned by NEWSCORP (Rupert Murdoch) and NAPCAR? Seems to me that it is run with a heavy slant towards NAPCAR in every respect. Interesting that they don't bother to list Michael Schumacher (he's NOT my favorite, but for christ-sake he's a 7-Time World Champion!)

FWIW, Fans have had the opportunity to voice their opinions all year long. (not that it matters much when the fans have only 1 out of the 19 votes that will determine the winner)

From SPEEDTV Website: ".................. you, the fans, can help us decide the winner of the award by casting your vote right here for the driver you feel most deserves recognition for each quarter of the 2004 season. The award encompasses all racing platforms including NASCAR, Champ Car, IRL, NHRA, SCCA, World of Outlaws and Sports Cars.

In its 38th year the DRIVER OF THE YEAR Award will be determined by an independent vote of an 18-member panel of blue ribbon auto racing journalists and broadcasters and one vote based on a cumulative tally by fans voting at www.speedtv.com." :stupid: :stupid:

At first, I thought the SpeedChannel was part of the ESPN system, because of all the Bush-league racing & NAStycar stuff. Did you notice the ratio of NAStycar races to ALL the the other ones combined? You could add in all the fishing other car shows(Car Crazy, CCR, tuner transform, etc.) and not get an equal number LOL

Who knows somebody at the SpewdChannel?

thx

At first, I thought the SpeedChannel was part of the ESPN system, .........

Naw, NAPCAR dropped ESPN like a smelly turd when Rupert M. and NBC/TBS waved all that money in their face. ESPN carried almost all of the NAPCAR races for well over a decade, then got booted out the backdoor after they helped (greatly, IMO) make NAPCAR the 1200 lb gorilla that they are today.

I've never even heard of any of those guys they want you to vote for, so how vould they be so good? I'm not talking about popularity, but if they're "the best," wouldn't they mae it to the media or papers?

Take Micheal Schumacher- He's a 7-time WORLD CHAMPION, and even had a PERFECT RACING RECORD, taking 5 firsts until the 6th race this year. He didn't make the final list. I'll 'assume' he was considered, but for some unknown reason, he was taken off.

I follow NHRA, WRC, F-1 racing, LeMans and other racing, and I've never heard of those guys, even the two NHRA-associated guys (IHRA sucks).

I'll assume that they only condsider automobile-racing only, but then how about people like Luigi Conetti (UIM F-1 boat racing champion) He wins just about every race. Or even Lance Armstrong. Sure he won the "Tour," but just to get there you gotta win so many races to work your way up the ranks to "Category 1" which is what you have to be to enter into semi-pro cycling, or the Olympics (been there- tried it). This guy is obviously a champion on a daily basis (he works out 8 hours, EVERY DAY!)

-2 sense.

TomoHawk, It's safe to say you're slightly biased when it come to race car drivers! Now, I prefer watching and attending races with right and left hand corners, as apposed to oval track racing, but to say that these oval track guys/gals are not real drivers just isn't so! Or, is it just your lack of knowledge about racing in general...what do you think! As an example....Dale Jr. teaming up to win in a Corvette. Oh, it was probably a fluke or something.....I forgot, the Corvettes drive themselves don't they. I think Dale was fine on the left hand turns but was having a tough go of it on the right hand turns....you know, old habit come forth! And as I remember, Jeff Gordon couldn't even drive JP's F1 car either!!! I quess I just agree to disagree with your opinion, as we all have one! You have to admit that NASCAR has a huge and growing fan base as well as pulling in mega $$$. The sad part is that it's mostly about the fans and the money now. It's getting pretty bad when a top driver slips out a "$^!#" on TV and gets penalized 25 point for it, along with a fine. Next thing you know the fans will be formulating the rules for NASCAR...only if they think it will make them a few more $$$...sad, isn't it? :(

Hey, I do "oval-track racing" myself. I can tell you it doesn't take that much skill. I also race yachts (you call them $1,000,000-dollar sailboats), cycling (as in bicycles), and r/c stuff too. Did an airplane race once in high school.

But I have my favorite(s) too.

Chris' idea has some merit-

Why don't WE take our own poll (including write-ins?) and send the results to SPEWDCHANNEL.

LOL

Nope, Not interested.

.............You have to admit that NASCAR has a huge and growing fan base as well as pulling in mega $$$...................(

So does McDonald's, but that doesn't make it Gourmet Food.

• 2 weeks later...

And the Winner is.......................http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/dragracing/14870/

Some may not feel he is deserving, but he had one helluva season. A dominating performance. BTW, not only does he drive the car well, he works on his car and the car of his teammate. Not very many driver/mechanics left in professional motorsport these days.