IGNORED

Z Restoration Progam

26th-Z

Thanks for the info, Carl. I'll post the entire "Greetings from the Z-Store at Nissan Corporate" so that everyone can see that I am not making things up.

Thanks for the "Mad Mike" letter. Would you please highlight the passages that refer to a discussion about buying up old Zs, refurbishing them, and selling them back to the public again? I just can't find it. Sounds like he had a good time though. :ermm: So let me get this straight. He "threatened to make house calls" and that constitutes representation?

Yes I AM 25% sure Mike had something to do with it. Take a look at "Z-Store Update" from Z Car Magazine, Spring 1997; page 8. "The Z Store idea began when a handful of Nissan dealers got together with the president of Nissan Motor Corp. USA to discuss the the discontinuation of the 300ZX. All of these guys have been strong supporters (and sellers) of the Z-car over the years and all of them believe that the Z market is still alive". (typos included on purpose)

And thanks for the letter from Pete Evanow. From now on, I will use the correct terminology, some 40, when discussing how many cars were actually produced. At least until I find the real documentation.

Halz, the correct terminology is Z Restoration Program. Vintage Zs are the cars and they were sold through the Z-Store program. Katayama used the abbreviation "VZ" and I suggest it be adopted in place of the word factory.

gnose, I'm pretty much up to what you are describing. Your past suggestions and comments well taken.

And finally...Carl, if I am stepping on toes, just tell me and I'll sit down and shut up. Is Pete going to write a book, or was that just more talk? It has been six years. Otherwise, I am not into writing adversarial posts claiming my story is right and your story is wrong. I am into reporting without bias the facts as they can be reconstructed from written documentation and reflected with personal recollection. I really apprecaite your help. You have a wealth of information and I plan to spend more time with you sifting through your archives. For my plans, I anticipate conducting research for a certain period of time and then writing about what I found from whom. It will not be all-encompassing, but it will be a concerted effort capturing a moment in time as is typical of a research project. :)

post-4148-14150794679402_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150794679711_thumb.jpg

Hi Chris: Today at 7:13AM you wrote:

>.."Thanks for the "Mad Mike" letter. Would you please highlight the passages that

>refer to a discussion about buying up old Zs, refurbishing them, and selling them back

>to the public again? I just can't find it.

>Sounds like he had a good time though. So let me get this straight. He "threatened

>to make house calls" and that constitutes representation?"

Truth is stranger than fiction...

I'd say that when the opportunity came about...Mike went to Nissan HQ and represented the ZCCA in the discussions with Mr. Hanawa. Although not planed far in advance, although not as formally structured as Mr. K's quote would indicate... I'd say yes.. what Mad Mike did on that day constitutes representation (at least of the people that elected him Executive Director of the ZCCA).

The Mad Mike involvement was first brought up - because you quoted Mr. K saying

"a representative from the American clubs was sent to Tokyo to plead with Nissan to revive the Z"...

At that point there was nothing said about the Vintage Z Program... other than highlighting the events that took place prior to 97, and which lead up to the Programs Birth... Mr. K's full statement ties the "representation" directly to the events that lead up to the Vintage Z Program - does it not?

My point was - related to Mr. K's statement and your questions about that statement... 1. Mike wasn't actually "sent" there as his trip report reflects... 2. who he represented.. when the chance arose ie. ZCCA and its members and 3. Who he met with when he was there.. (the man who would the following year become President of Nissan Motors Ltd. Japan).

Chris wrote again today:

>"Yes I AM 25% sure Mike had something to do with it."

I have to admit that I'm very confused by that statement at this time.

What/which ""it" you are referring to? There is no question that Mike and his visit to Mr. K in Japan in 95... is the person and the event that Mr. K is talking about in that quote. Yes/No.. or as I ask before, is there someone else that says differently?

If you are referring to "it" being the Vintage Z Project... I have no idea what all, if anything, Mad Mike had to do directly with the Vintage Z Project. Other than, like all of us at the time, indirectly just trying to support the concept and the program while it was evolving at Nissan...

Chris wrote:

>"And finally...Carl, if I am stepping on toes, just tell me and I'll sit down and shut up.

>Is Pete going to write a book, or was that just more talk? It has been six years."

Well as you can see from his farewell letter.. he seems to have been planning on writing a book then; and from the letter he wrote me the other day.. which I read to you.. he seems to be in the process of writing his book now.

I told him that you were putting together an article about the Vintage Z's and ask him if he'd be willing to share some information with us, I have not received his reply yet. I don't see your efforts as stepping on anyone's toes. If anything articles related to the subject, should just stimulate interest and help future sales of his book... yes/no?

Other than discussions like this one... where else do we see anything being published that would lead to more interest?

>Otherwise, I am not into writing adversarial posts claiming my story is right

>and your story is wrong.

Does "my story" mean Chris and "your story" mean Carl? Or is that a general statement?

I don't feel anything has been "adversarial".... we have been back and forth on a couple of points... like the Mad Mike thing... but I wonder at times if I have made my points clear enough; because when you reiterate them in your own words... it leaves me with the impression that there is still great confusion there...

Your statement today,

>"please highlight the passages that refer to a discussion about buying up

>old Zs, refurbishing them, and selling them back to the public again?

>I just can't find it.

leaves me with the impression that there is still confusion between background information, which Mr. K tied to the Vintage Z Program, with his statement (which you quoted).. with the expectation that it is meant to be proof of the conception point of the Vintage Z Project....

Just wanted to make sure that you understood - and that everyone following along understood - no one ever said that the representative talking to Mr. Hanawa, suggested anything other than saving the Z for America and Nissan Motors. That started the ball rolling or at least accelerated it a bit after Atlanta.

Buying up cars came a couple of years later...so I am surprised that you would be looking for it in Mikes report, or that you think I said it would be there... nonetheless, the Vintage Z might not have happened at all, if the groundwork hadn't been done years before hand.

I think we both agree that the story leading up to the concept of the Vintage Z's is as important to understanding their significants, as the story of how they were repurchased, reconditioned and resold...

FWIW

Carl

Carl Beck

Clearwater,FL USA

http://ZHome.com

Hello Chris (everyone):

Per an earlier discussion related to collecting the VIN's of the Vintage Z's. I've set up a Vintage Z Register on the Z Car Home Page...

I have listed the VIN's I've collected so far, if anyone knows of others not listed there... please send as much information as you can. Or if you have additional information about the cars listed please send that as well.

With "usual" Registers, it is the owners that register their cars. As we are just trying to get this started, and gather as many of the VIN's as possible, we will start by "reporting" Vintage Z's we have seen either in person or on the net.

So far, I only know two of the owners... the rest are VIN's from cars listed on ebay with pictures of their dash plaques or other documentation. In each case I've listed the source of the information.

If it's useful, at a later time - I may link the VINs to the ebay listings so people can see the descriptions that the owners/sellers provided. If anyone has kept a copy of the ebay page source.. to retain that information about a car you have recorded.. send it along with the other information and we'll add it to the database.

The direct URL Is: http://Zhome.com/IZCC/ZRegisters/VintageZ.htm

At least this way we can all see what we have collected to this point.

FWIW,

Carl

Carl Beck

Clearwater,FL USA

beck@becksystems.com

Hi Chris (everyone):

Just wanted to point out... as you mentioned earlier.. at least some of the Vintage Z's did not get their original matching number engines back. Note on the Register at least one of them got an L28. (now that's an upgrade!!).

Also .. are those the VIN's with Automatic Transmissions that you have as well? Could be A/T equipped cars were less expensive to buy, when Nissan was buying them... or it could be that in general terms the 240Z's with A/T were driven and cared for more carefully.

FWIW,

Carl

Carl Beck

Clearwater,FL USA

beck@becksystems.com

I think this is the green automatic which would put it low on the 0 - some40 list. This is an ABC channel 7 interview with Pierre on May 3, 1997 at the Vintage Z Rally. The Z is an automatic. Another automatic at the Rally was this gold one. It sold on eBay about 9 months ago. Remember Carl? I sent you an e-mail saying we thought there was only one A/T car? Before you respond that it is Jim's, I don't think so. Jim's has a distinguishing mark that is not on this car as far as I can tell.

post-4148-14150794706843_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150794706985_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the picture quality, everyone. This is the best I can do with what I have. I anticipate improvement.

Carl,

Lets post the quotes so everyone knows what we are talking about. These are copyright "Fairlady Z Story" (translation, Brian Long) Miki Press.

In terms of "roots", the first quote eludes to the importance of the 25th National Convention in Atlanta. The second quote eludes to the importance of what now probably was Mike Taylor's visit. I can easily understand how the event would be described by Katayama san as such. The importance of these two events cannot be overlooked, however interpreted. They represent the ground swell of enthusiast response to Nissan's announcement of terminating the Z. They represent the involvement of Yutaka Katayama after his retirement, suggesting his influence in what was then future planning of the Z car.

Thanks for that l o n g post. I think we are on the same page. Thanks ( wow, serious thanks, WAY TO GO) for creating the VZCR. I'll help you fill in some spots.

post-4148-14150794707213_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150794707275_thumb.jpg

Sorry about that, Tomohawk, I was able to read it when I posted it. Anyway, here's that article again, after I scanned it and used some OCR software on it to convert the jpeg to text. :knockedou

Restored Datsun 240Zs take step back in time

NEWSDAY

Sunday, November 23, 1997

Vintage cars are almost always more fun to look at than to drive — no matter how well they were regarded in their day. They are object lessons in how much cars have improved over the years. And so it is with the aged cars around which Nissan has this year built one of the most unusual corporate identity campaigns: 1970 through 1972 Datsun 240Zs. They were Nissan's first sports cars, and they were a big hit for their swoopy looks and hot performance. This car was one of an openended number, about 150 so far, that Nissan, maker of Datsuns, is purchasing from private individuals and having restored by a company in Los Angeles called Pierre's Z. The restored cars, which began at about $3,500 new in the early '70s, are being sold for $27,000 plus freight through only 10 Nissan dealerships. The warranty is 12 months, 12,000 miles.

The restoration involves a complete disassembly of the car and the repair of any part requiring it. Steering columns are replaced with more modern, energy-absorbing types for safety. Tires are replaced with modern radials — Bridgestone 195 70R-14s on the tester — wider than the originals. Each car gets a full-flow oil filter, three-core radiator and a clearcoat paint job — gray and beautiful in the case of the tester. Each interior gets full reupholstery and an- AM-FM radio, a pushbutton period piece that drifts off whatever FM station you try to listen to. For good and bad, everything else is original the thin, wood-trimmed steering wheel, two low-slung bucket seats, the view over a long, long, hood, great visibility through big rear and side windows and the pulling power of a high-torque, six-cylinder. Yes, and the seat belts that don't retract via springs into a case to keep them clean and handy and, so, tend to get caught in the doors or fall between the seats; the controls you can't see at night; the poorly backlit gauges and the nonpower-assisted steering that requires two strong arms in parking maneuvers. Even the odometers are left in their original positions. The restored 240 is an unusual effort by a car maker to keep alive a name that still carries a lot of goodwill. Considering the lack of air bags and other modern crash protection except for the aforementioned steering column and seat belts we kinda wonder how this one got past Nissan's corporate lawyers. But we're glad it did. We're not sure we could ever bring ourselves to spend $27,000 for a toy like this, but it surely was fun for five days to trip backward 26 years in automotive time. It also was a reminder of what a shame it is that the Z car isn't available here anymore. With sales declining, Nissan stopped importing the current model, the 300ZX, after 1996.

Hi Chris / everyone:

I have updated the Vintage Z Register...

There is a hyper-link to pictures of each car on the Register now.

There is a list of the Original Z-Car Stores also hyper-linked

The Vintage Z Register Is Now linked on the Z Car Home Page http://ZHome.com

The Direct URL Is:

http://zhome.com/IZCC/ZRegisters/Vintage/VintageZ.htm

We are now looking for input of Vintage Z's not on the Register... if you know of one, e-mail me the information at: beck@becksystems.com

I'll also be Posting a note to the "big list", to see if we can reach more Vintage Z Owners.

FWIW,

Carl

Carl Beck

Clearwater,FL USA