IGNORED

new c110 owner

73skyline

hey all

i am an owner of a 73 c110 gtx, i did a few researches on this site and found pictures of the car, i love the styling of the car, i will be doing a lot of changes with the car and hopefully you all will like it, since ive bought the car, i have lowered it more and added 15x10 15x8.5 watanabe wheels, new nardi steering wheel, all autometer gauges fitted in the front panel, also the old L28 motor in the car is being replaced by an sr20det motor ready to supply 400WHP, i have many plans for the car, ill try to keep all updated with the progress, im new to this site and loving it already. thank you all for your support

mike

heres a link to how the car looks today

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/737777

Gday another new member!!

Welcome, welcome, your car sounds quite tasty as it is! Is it an Australian gtx [there were very few imported here, 20-30 so i believe] or jdm? Im getting ahead of myself though, ill take a look at the pics! Oh and where do you reside? Iwas assuming australia but perhaps somewhere else? NZ?

Wow your car is quite the looker indeed, i love the period decals, and the watanabes really compliment the car!! Im in the market for some just like that at the moment :) Now that i think about it, i reckon ive seen your car before...but where? Ah i know Sgt77.topsites.com...hmmm! I may even have pictures of it. Im getting a little excited here.

Why ditch the l28? Im assuming by the look of your car that the ol'girl was probably equipped with triple weber/mikunis? As the japanese refer to these sorts of l28 powered gtx's, "GTR spec"? Fantastic job with the overfenders too, theres a member here who's really interested in the details of fitting flares, perhaps you could enlighten him. And the decision for sr20 power, thats a little different...why not go for rb power? Hope you can fill me in on these tidbits, im interested in hearing heaps more from you.

Regards,

Tom

p.s according to the website from whence these pictures came, this car was in japan at that time, so i can only surmise that you have had this car shipped over to wherever you live, unless you indeed live in japan.

untitled234.bmp

untitled456.bmp

Hi Mike,

Firstly, welcome again. I will reply your PM within the next couple of days (with some good news :)). Yes, your car has already been the subject of conversation here before!! I believe the pictures Tom posted up were actually in America after a car show... Do you know how the car came to be in America? I'm sure it has quite a history. Nice Watanabes too :) Glad to see you're into the period look, even if you do plan on an SR20DET! The RB engine is possible, but I would be worried about handling. Why did you choose the 4-pot?

Tom, I'm interested in the 20-30 GT-X statement you made... where did you hear that???

And I am interested in flare fitment, but I guess you did not do the work on that yourself. If you do have any pictures though I'd be interested to see them - I will hopefully be going to a workshop to get a quote tomorrow :)

edit: dont know if you found this one on your search, but interesting to see anyway http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6194&page=1&highlight=c110+america

Welcome Mike,

Nice to see another C110 enthusiast around, and from the US! not the usual place for such vehicles.

I noticed you made mention in your cardomain page that you're ditching the "stock L28" the GT-X never came with an L28, sooooooo... that's not really true :P FWIW the stock GT-X came w/ a Twin SU'd L20.

Beat me to it Michael!,

As kyteler [Michael] mentioned, the l28 is definitely not a stock motor for a 2000gtx[this is what often happens to gtx's in japan, when enthusiasts wish to upgrade their car to a 'gtr spec' as i stated earlier]. And from what ive gathered the particular l28 that dwells in your engine bay is not stock at all, with swathes of tasty after-market stuff. Perhaps after a cleanup of the components it would still be worth keeping, as i imagine a nicely worked l28 turbo in the same vein as yours would produce ample power [in the positive sense of course]. I think the torque factor of the l28 could still outweigh that of a modern sr20 too :laugh: . In any case it would still be a great idea if you kept the old engine in the backround somewhere, just in case :rambo:

Lachlan: When reading through prince's posts, i came upon this tidbit of information. He actually owns an Australian 2000GTX, and amazingly, with the vin prefix of KPGC110, as nissan built more gtr body/chassis than there were s20's for. If you ever go to a nissan/prince meet, i think it would be fantastically insightful to share thoughts and information with him.

Regards,

Tom

oh.. prince again! Are you sure he said GTX, and not GT? There were a limited number of very early 240K GT's imported in 1973. I thought his car was a Japanese 2000 GTX - I really have trouble believing Nissan imported 20-30 C110's in 1975 or so (his car is a later model GT-X). His VIN is another story all together...! I would love to meet him - perhaps over the holidays, since he is in Brisbane anyway. :) Sorry for taking over the thread Mike!

thanks for all the support!!!

as for the l28, it used to be a turboed L motor but when it got to my friend it was shot and blown and needed major rebuilding work, my fren actually rebuilt that motor with new pistons, rods, bearings, etc and the head was a ported n42, when it got to me, the turbo was removed in place of triple 44 mikunis.

it took me a lot of thinking about the sr20det motor, ive been around a lot of turbo l motors and sr20det motors and favored the SR more now. its just a great motor to me, my fren has built 5 sr20det motor with stock bottom ends and blocks with 400whp, all running great. my other fren drove 10hrs to to the race track , then autocrossed mt shasta course for 3 days in a row, its a 5 mile course and drove home with no problems, its a good motor, the balance will be shifted but ill mess with suspension to dial it in, if there putting 4 cyl. mr2 turbo motors in mk4 supras to get better weight distribution then why not try in this c110.

i guess you can say the sr20 motor is the hot motor here in the US, they have been put in all sorts of cars including the nissan 350z which holds a V6 stock, ive seen a few setups in japan with the sr motor in a C10, lots of clearance, i know the RB motor would be a great way to go but the rb26 motor is just out of my league to purchase here in the US, the sr20 motor i have is about $1600 complete compared to the rb26 motor 5k-7k, with the 5k-7k i have a well tuned sr20det with 400whp which is more than enough for a c110

well i better stop writing,...hehehe time to clean up the c110 more..engine bay needs some scrubbin...take care all

mikey

Just to address a few points i raised earlier,

Lachlan, you are quite right, it was approximately 24 240k gt's not gtx's. In all of the info of that thread i must have been confused. In any case the link i posted was to the wrong thread anyway. As for Ray's vin he appears quite convinced that his car indeed posseses the wonderous 'P' in the prefix, youve obviously had this discussion with him before however. Oh and he imported his car from PNG not Japan, as the gtx was also sold there - the distance is obviously a convenience.

Another hijack, im sorry :D - great car, story and hope to hear more from you mike!

Tom

Ahhh! It all starts to make sense LOL I know how confusing it can get with all the G's and X's... good to get it all cleared up though. So he imported it from PNG? That's interesting! I had not known any other country aside Japan got the C110 badged as "Nissan Skyline". He posted a picture before - definitely has the P! Just some other issues that really raise an eyebrow. Don't want to steal the thread though!

Welcome Mike,

Nice purchase, if it gets any lower, your going to lose something! I understand your decision to go down the SR path, myself, I'm heading down the L28 Forced Induction way. (By any chance) Do you have a spare Turbo Oil Line setup you want to get rid of? I have everythin else.

Anyway, if you want to post some pics of the flare setup, we would all appreciate it. Especially what has been done to the original panels underneath. Have they been ripped, flared or just cut away?