IGNORED

technique for replacing mustache bar bushings

I am planning to replace my soft rubber mushtache bar bushings with urathane bushings I purchased from Motorsport. I have heard some frightening rumors that the old soft rubber bushings have to be heated to be removed completely. Has anyone else heard of this tecnique and, if so, will a propane torch do the job or is and acetaline torch part of the therapy?

After some close negotiation with my exhaust system, differential and the lug nuts the local brake shop tightened to tight, I was able to remove the mushtache bar from the car. Upon inspection of the very worn and decaying bushings I thought I would call one of our reputable machine shops and have the original bushings pressed out of the bar. After finding a machinist that was willing to run his press on Friday afternoon the conversation ventured into the specifics of the job. My knowledge of machine shop nomenclature being minimal I tried to explain the type and construction of the bushing and differential rear mounting bar to him and was assured that next week he would give it a try. Although handle bar moustaches are not that uncommon in this part of the USA the concept and my intent did not communicate very well.

So, I pulled out my propane torch, clamped the bar in my workmate and started to burn. This technique worked very well. It took about ten minutes on each side to completly eliminate all of the old rubber. After this I cooled the bar with warm water and used a half round file to smooth the inside of the bushing housing. After a bath in solvent the new urathane bushings were very easy to gently tap in with a rubber mallet.

Yippie-i-o-tyee from somewhere in Idaho

[This message has been edited by visionary (edited 06-23-2000).]

Go ahead & use propane. heat the area around the bushing til it smokes & starts to catch fire (a little). Now it's ready for your BIG hammer. WHACK IT!!!! Should fall into the bucket of water you were smart enough to have ready for it!

Lots of ventilation & be careful when playing w/ fire!

BTW, you MUST NOT remove the metal shells from the moustache bar or you will truely be screwed for using the urethane bushings. Just clean them up real good. Dont forget to use plenty of lube when assembling the bushings or your car will squeek (especially in cool weather)when it bounces.

------------------

Carl Stahlnecker

72 240Z "Bambikiller"

HLS30-55703 11/71

cstahlnecker@hotmail.com

bambikiller240@altavista.com

[This message has been edited by Carl (edited 06-23-2000).]

Originally posted by Carl:

Go ahead & use propane. heat the area around the bushing til it smokes & starts to catch fire (a little). Now it's ready for your BIG hammer. WHACK IT!!!! Should fall into the bucket of water you were smart enough to have ready for it!

BTW, you MUST NOT remove the metal shells from the moustache bar or you will truely be screwed for using the urethane bushings. Just clean them up real good. Dont forget to use plenty of lube when assembling the bushings or your car will squeek (especially in cool weather)when it bounces.

Hey bambikiller,

Thanks for the squeak tip, kind of reminds mi of a girl I used to know. Have you ever seen that short animated film, "Bambe meets Godzilla". Check it out, its a laugh.

Keith

Originally posted by Carl:

Hey bambikiller,

Thanks for the squeak tip, kind of reminds me of a girl I used to know. Have you ever seen that short animated film, "Bambi meets Godzilla". Check it out, its a laugh.

Keith

• 11 years later...

Wouldn't the moustache bar come off by just removing the 2 bolts by the differential case mounting member and the bolt on each side that holds the bushing? I am talking about a '78 280z cpe, or maybe the '78 is different? I was just looking at it before I even start on a pu bushing replace. Any input would definitely mean a lot to me. Thanks and more power !

Wow, an 11-year snooze on this one. It might be a record ;)

Don't forget to support the differential when you remove the mustache bar. Maybe some new diff oil and a little cleanup & paint would be a good idea too.

Is there a difference between the bushing lube and dielectric grease? It looks like the same stuff.