IGNORED

??banjo?? gaskets

yoogener

Most banjo fittings use copper gaskets 1/16" thick or so. Home Depot and Lowes cary them here in Savannah, but I have had to "punch" my own using sharpened pipes before. Heat the copper until it changes color(annealing), then punch it. Don't use a penny-it is illegal to deface government issue coinage-I bet you used someone elses pictures wrong too! (Unless it is dated before 1942, pennys are not solid coper anyway) After you have annealed a suitable sheet of copper, it can actually be punched with a leather punch easily, or cut by hand.

Will

It was my poor attempt to add levity by drawing a parallel between protecting our posted photographs, and protecting our pennies.

I appologize for not being more clear.

That wasn't aimed at anybody except those who deface pennies! It was only a reference to another law that is not enforceable. There is a law to protect pennies, but nobody is watching! There is a machine that squishes them in public and they are sold as rolled pennies-even though it is illegal-it happens.

I didn't mean to poot upwind...

Will

As a former coin collector (numismatist) for many years I must point out:

The Composition of the Cent

Following is a brief chronology of the metal composition of the cent coin (penny):

The composition was pure copper from 1793 to 1837.

From 1837 to 1857, the cent was made of bronze (95 percent copper, and five percent tin and zinc).

From 1857, the cent was 88 percent copper and 12 percent nickel, giving the coin a whitish appearance.

The cent was again bronze (95 percent copper, and five percent tin and zinc) from 1864 to 1962.

(Note: In 1943, the coin's composition was changed to zinc-coated steel. This change was only for the year 1943 and was due to the critical use of copper for the war effort. However, a limited number of copper pennies were minted that year. You can read more about the rare, collectible 1943 copper penny in "What's So Special about the 1943 Copper Penny.")

In 1962, the cent's tin content, which was quite small, was removed. That made the metal composition of the cent 95 percent copper and 5 percent zinc.

The alloy remained 95 percent copper and 5 percent zinc until 1982, when the composition was changed to 97.5 percent zinc and 2.5 percent copper (copper-plated zinc). Cents of both compositions appeared in that year.

Stolen from

Some food for thought, regarding the copper crush washers for the banjo fittings....or any copper sealing washer. If new ones cannot be had, string the old washers on a length of SS safety wire, using a torch of some sort....heat the copper washers until they just turn red, then quickly toss them into a container of water. This exercise will bring the old washers back to the annealed state and ready for use once again. The thing is with the old washers is that each time you use them (when they are tightened up) they become harder and harder (work hardening), unless you anneal them.