Sign in to follow this  
jmark

'78 280Z OEM air filter housing?

its like a light blue....close to a baby blue color but not exactly, i cant really help u cuzz im not exactly sure wat i would call the color.

Yeah, light blue. But can you get the plastic tube-thing that goes on the end? Is it worth having? I was going to put in a c.a.i. thing I got someplace, but the rubber coupler didn't match.

Thanks guys. I'll check with Les. I was also told a guy called Pierre Z knows the correct codes. Anyone heard of him?

Spoke with Les today. He doesn't have "air cleaner blue". He does have the paint for the rear tail light panels. I'll let you know how much.

Is Datsun Engine Blue the correct color?

Nope. Too dark. the engine blue is a dark turquois (sp?). The air cleaner is a light "sky" blue, with a little green tint to it.

try Nissan 007 blue it looks like a good match and it is a 1977 colour so it is right for that age of car and 510 is sky blue metalic 1977-1988
Can't seem to find this Nissan code.

Dang. That's alot of info. I am surprised no one has done this for the 240-280Z's engine bay. You know engine block, air box etc. I am sure the knowledge is here. I just haven't found it in one spot.

Did some searching on some of the other Z websites and found a "Dupont" brand Mix-Your-Own-Paint formula. Hope it helps...

webdawg1

Subject: Z engine paint (Turquoise)

(TURQUOISE) engine paint used on early Zs.

Find a Dupont Dealer and ask them to mix up a quart (5 or more engines) [or split it in half for a pint] of Dupont "Chroma 1" paint. Be sure and buy the "Chroma 1" catalyst and reducer also.

Tinting guide mix size

806J HS BLACK 177.2

801J HS WHITE 290.0

828J HS FAST BLUE 373.8

830J HS FAST GREEN 444.4

702OG BINDER 844.0

7030G BALANCER 960.4

That Turquoise engine color is much darker than the air box color. I bought a can of the Duplicolor DE1610 and partailly painted my 1970 L521 air cleaner. Here's a Photo!

color comparision

It's close. The stock is a little grayer? greener?

What do you think? Will it do?

I have a 260z 2+2 air cleaner the same blue as what you discribe and was going to use Dupli-Color DSFM257 Spinnaker Blue but, it didn't look to be a close enough match after I sprayed a sample.

Gee's photo gallery has a pic titled My brother's 260z 2+2 with a good picture of the air cleaner and the blue used.

Anyone know what the decal might of been?