Higher compression, better? Why? - Page 2 - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Higher compression, better? Why?

Featured Replies

Do you wanna hear the scary part I'm gonna be running ~11:1 compression on the new motor I'm building. However this shouldn't be a problem on the 98 octane we can get here in Australia :)

Hey Gavin that's what my husband's 77 280Z is currently running. Not very tame for the streets IMO but it's not my car. Compression test on the cylinders were 215+ on each. Less than 10 miles per gallon. Loud and unruly. Scares the gas right out of my poor little stock 72 240Z :D

Vicky

  • Author

I'll definately have to check the cc's on my head.

Felpro offers a .020 shim that you can use with their head gasket.

I'm also planning on running a mild cam. Not stock. Would this mean that I could run higher compression with a bigger cam?

Ed

According to the L6 engine builder, you would have 9.82:1 without the .040 shaved off the head. You are probably looking at somewhere in the area of 10.5:1 (quick estimation based on the increase in shaving a P90 .080 on a flat top piston block. (Increase from 8.52:1 to appx. 9.82/10:1)

Vicky I'm not that fussed over it being tame for the streets the way I see it the Z was never a great car for traffic even when it was brand new. I'm sure your Nissan restored Z still has it's quirks in traffic :). Therefore I may as well make it a race car that can be driven on the street :) ehehe

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.