IGNORED

$%#! the Z just got hit...

EricB

3 miles from home, just now, coming back from work.

It was bumper to bumper traffic but somehow the guy who caused all of this must have been going pretty fast (I don't know how...) His Civic totalled itself into the back of an older Jeep Cherokee which is probably also going to the crusher after this which then hit a Cutlass which then hit me... Thank god for the Cutlass' ultra soft shocks, cause just before he hit me he must obviously have slammed his brakes cause his nose dove down and basically only wrecked my rear bumper and slightly pushed in the lower valance behind it... The japanese tail lights I brought back two years ago were spared... no buckling in the C pillar... phew I got lucky here folks....

I thought I had heard a rumour these Japanese/Euro bumpers were NLA - is that true or not?

Obviously I can't call any shops tonight, wondering if someone here knows....

-e

post-1574-14150794068641_thumb.jpg

It's true that the center section is no longer available but that damage doesn't look too bad. When I got my bumpers straightened and rechromed they had to do a bit of work on them. I suspect yours can be fixed as well.

Good to see its not too bad and that noone was hurt (i'm guessing since it wasnt mentioned)

Is there any difference between the euro bumper and the US bumper structurally besides lack of holes? Maybe if they cant straighten it out you could get a good US bumper and weld up any extra holes and have them chrome it then?

Chances are they could put it back so it at least looks normal. I think a previous owner damaged the front bumper on my Z at one point and had it straightened out. The mounting points are all screwy now, but shimming with washers appropriately lets it sit normal.

Good ideas to check with the rechromer. They have a wealth of experience that should play in your favor. The biggest problem with a hit of this type is that when you re-stress the metal back into shape, sometimes the chrome cracks and begins to peel. That's why a rechromer would know how to best straighten, rechrome and polish to make it look the best.

However, having seen this hit on several Z's, I would have you check the hatch area floor to ensure that there has been NO buckliing (lifting, bowing, no longer level). The bumpers are mounted onto the rear valance which has L brackets welded to it and tacked to the floor of the hatch. With the hit you have (apparently a forward and downward smack, essentially the last of the nose down of braking), the force to those L brackets has been UP and to the FRONT.

After checking the hatch area, crawl underneath with a flashlight and look at the back of the valance. What appears as no damage in the hatch, may be a crumpled bumper support below.

Just my 2¢

Enrique

HOLY CRAP ERIC, dont scare us like that. Geez, when I read the title, I thought it was gunna be bad... got the knleenex out and everything. LOL

So glad it was only a minor accident (for your car). Thank your lucky stars the cruise ship behind you put on its brakes!!

All the best, and I hope for a speedy recovery for your beauty :love::love:

Just think of how much worse it could have been! As long as you got away with the rear bumper I think you got off lucky! 2 days ago some moron reversed into my drivers front guard. And being the careful, responsible person the were DID'NT leave a note. It was a nice dent to greet me in the morning. So in a way, your lucky it all went on while you were there.

Good luck with the repairs.

Guys,

Thanks for the kind words...

I know I know I came out real lucky, especially considering two cars were probably totalled last night... I shouldn't really be complaining... but it's a week before I get on the plane to get married and I only come back the day before I drive up to Monterey for Historics and the Z Corral...

So basically if I am going to get it fixed for the Z Corral that only leaves this coming week - seems like a stretch to me... I guess I could always show up at the Z Corral with some first aid bandages taped to the rear bumper and go for the comic award...

It's the timing that bums me out most of all... oh well...

Does anyone have any recommendations as far as LosAngeles based re-chromers? I'll hit the local weekly 50s/60s americana car show today in Pasadena and go ask the guys with the big Mercurys, Fords, etc where they go...

-e

post-1574-14150794069383_thumb.jpg

MrV this is MrE - thanks for the offer on the loaner bumper...

I am going to try to fix mine... I'm sure someone at the Fuddrucker's car show tonight will recommend a place to go to...

I can always go to Z Corral w/o bumpers... or do the bandaid thing as I wrote above... I think I'll do that...

Hey MrProxlamus©, go to www.jeffludes.com for more amazing car photography by the same guy that shot my Z.... He's real good....

-e