IGNORED

Better Alternative Alternator for 240K

Razor

I'm changing my alternator, now which alternator can I use to swap the old one with a better one?

1st option is from a different car

and 2nd option is a new aftermarket one. <--- reason is dont have much $$$ righ now...

also I heard that its better to have an alternator with internal regulator

are the 240K's alternator setup the same with the Zs cos I saw a few threads on swapping alternator

also the EA Falcon is common swap for the Datsun 1200s, they came with 75amp - 85amp, would this fit the 240K too?

cheers guys

I have a ford one sitting here on an l20B, its an 85 amp from memory, fits well with just a few washers to pack it out to line up well. I will have a look for a model number in daylight hours.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Razor,

Iused an Skyline R30 internally regulated alternator in my 240K, from memory it was 50amps or more, can't recall exactly but a nice bump up at least on the stock 240K unit. Straight bolt up, wiring/plug arrangement is the same.

Note, I didn't re-arrange the wiring to run off the internal regulator, it was still all hooked up as per standard and didn't find any problems arising from this.

One difference I did find was at idle the amp gauge needle remained centred and didn't drop into the - zone, nor did the lights dim at night . Gave a nice constant charge, unreliant on the rev's of the engine! :classic:

James

50amps is not much....for future upgrades like stereo, amps, speakers etc....

but i guess better than stock...

I would prefer to swap in one go for a better high output amp probably like 80+ amps, it'll save me in the long run anyway.