IGNORED

'81 280ZX 2+2 L28,5spd,R200 into my '74 260z

Hello,

I just ran into a fellow that has a wrecked '81 280zx 2+2 with a P79/F54, 5 Speed Transmission, and R200 Diff. Motor only has 60 thousand miles on it.

I'm about to pluck the motor, and the transmission, but am wondering about the differential. Can I just use my shafts right in it, or will I have to take the ones off the ZX?

Regarding the electrical ignition system in it, what more would I need than the distributor, coil, ignition module? Is there something else on these motors needed?

edit:

donorz1.jpg

http://webpages.sdsmt.edu/~1014532/index2.htm is a few pics of the nasty beast

Depends if you are intending to run the fuel injection, or stick with the carbs.

The dizzy and coil are all you need I think. (The module is attached to the dizzy) You just have to run a wire from the '+' side of the coil to the module as well. Points distributors didn't have this.

Have fun.

Er, NO Z had a live rear axle. The 280ZX's IRS is a different setup (semi-trailing arms vs. the Z's superior Chapman struts), and the ZX halfshafts won't go in the Z without some work. I personally used a '72+ R180 moustache bar, with the diff mounting holes slotted and enlarged to fit the R200 diff. I reused the 240Z halfshafts as well, though I know a lot of folks insist that the 280Z R200 halfshafts should be used. I used a '72+ front diff mount, but had to slot the mounting holes in that as well. If you can find an R200-equipped 280Z parts donor (front mount, moustache bar, curved rear crossmember (only if you currently have the straight '70, '71 part now), halfshafts), that might be best.

as you can see, I've got a beastly helping of nasty in the garage. that's more rust than I've ever seen on anything!

Compression on the Cylindars ~175-180 - surprised the hell out of me. The motor is so oily because the douche bags that junked it never bothered screwing on the valve cover ;O

That's a scary Z! ...but a perfect donor. The compression is great and those are the blocks with flat top pistons.

I was under the understanding that the R200 3.9 in that car with halfshafts will fit fine in your Z. You will need the mustashe bar as mentioned before. That ZX also has the better of the 5-speed transmissions. Lucky you! :D

first the R-200 I dont know what you are puting it into , but I installed one in my '73 and used the 240 half shafts. You need the mustashe bar and the bolts that secure it to the diff, they are different from the 180. The m. bar is installed with the purches forward unlike the 180. The 5 speed will require some modification of the tranny tunnel to accomodate the shifter. I havent done this mod so others can fill in here . The ignition will work great , you will need to get a different module , it must be marked 12 80 , other wise it will retard at rpm because it needs the computer hook up . One from a '79-'80 are the correct ones. Your origional drive shaft will be needed and I dont think it will need modification , again I havent done this mod but the 2+2 is longer in this area. If this is going into a 240 and you are going to run SUs as I am . You will need to get a electric fuel pump. The later head has no option for a mechanical pump. You can find a RZ-7 pump from a '79-'80 non fuel injected car for about $15.00 at the local bone yard. If you are converting to injection then there are other issues involved such as fuel tank . I went to SM needles in the SUs to handel the increase in displacement. :classic:

Ermm, I might be wrong here but your "donor" car won't have the correct mustache bar. If I remember correctly it doesn't even have a mustache bar.

Also unless you are planning for some serious HP the R-200 will be overkill. IMO stick with the R-180 you have. But by all means pull the R-200 and stash if for future projects.