IGNORED

240k information

khughes

Hi Guys (if anyone is still around!?)

just looking at buying a 240K coupe (c110 probably) for a charity rally (for the camp quality esCARpade) in october.

just wondering what are good forums or websites to visit for information on the 240K and worthwhile (and cheap) upgrades..

Both my friend and i have R33 GTR's, but you couldn't believe how excited we are to get back to the skyline roots and work on this little project car :)

anyways, thanks for any info etc. you can pass on to me!

Welcome Khughes!!

As far as dedicated 240k forums go - this is about the closest I've found. there are a few other good Nissan / Datsun sites, such as http://www.ozdat.com/forum/ - they mainly discuss the Datto 1600, but there's a lot of knowledge about older Datsuns in general. You can also visit skulines Australia, but they seem more interested in later Skylines (and you probably already know about them).

Upgrades? What exactly are you after? The brakes can be quite easilu upgraded along the same lines as the 1600 upgrades (ie VL calipers, Verada discs, or you can look at Hilux calipers, or later model Nissan ones. It all depends on what struts you have. Rear disc brake conversions can be done from R30 / 31 Skylines without too much difficulty.

Suspension - well, I'm going to build my own coilovers, although this will take me a while to get organised.

Engines - well, the L24 can be upgraded with an L28 and made to go hard, or the RB series engines can be made to fit without too much hassle. mine has an old Skool boat anchor in the form of a P76 donk. Haven't had it running yet, so can't comment on the effectiveness of that unit.

I'd be concerned about using a K as a rally / charity bash car. They're getting quite rare, specially the 2 door ones. Seems more and more people are getting into the 2 door ones too, which makes them a bit mor especial.

Mine's going to become a dedicated (almost) track car, and I'm having enough difficulty coming to terms with that concept.

Lastly, good luck on your quest, and keep us posted on your progress!!

yep, when i say rally, it isn't a WRC style rally i wouldn't do that to it :)

it is basically a road event, covering mostly public and private dirt roads, it isn't a race or anything. though we may do some track work with it later on.

The idea (body wise) so far is to get a coupe, strip is back and repaint it, get the GTR moulds and stick them on, and stick some fat tyres on it. we have to get sponsorship to cover the cost of entry, so it is going to look good!

suspension and brake wise we want to upgrade the brakes, preferably 4 pots on the front, with bigger discs (does the 240k have rear discs too?), suspension wise i guess just tighten everything up, swaybars etc..

engine wise, i am not too sure what we are going to do, would it just be cheaper to drop an RB25 or a 1GJZE into it? rather than moding an L24? or would the weight difference make a modded L24 a better idea?

we will really require something solid, as most of the rally will occur in remote NSW and QLD, not too many spares out there i would imagine!

this is the first project car i have participated in so if anyone has suggestions or hints, that would be greatly greatly appreciated, we only have 4 months and we havn't even found the car yet, so it is going to be a pretty hectic few months!

if anyone knows of a good condition C110 240K coupe for sale on the eastern side of Australia, please let me know! it will go to a great home!

Welcome khughes!

First of all I wish you luck finidng a good example of a 2 door coupe within a short period of time. If you manage to do it, great!

I know of a couple of guys with coupes here in Vic who'd be willing to part if the right $$$ was paid, infact my ex-project GTR replica with tubbed rear and GTR flares all round belongs to a friend of mine now :cheeky:

Only thing that would need touching up for a rally car would be the rear quarter boot corners (cut and shut job) and re-spray the car (orange peel finish):(

Second point, please don't use it as a rally car!!! These classics are getting so hard to find to risk bashing against a tree.

Come on, do yourself a favour, buy a crappy Sunny or 180B and save the 240K for a classic restoration.

My 2cents, James

Originally posted by khughes

we will really require something solid, as most of the rally will occur in remote NSW and QLD, not too many spares out there i would imagine!

Word of advice here. If it were I, I would go for a Holden or Ford. You will find parts whereever you may breakdown.

As many have remarked, 240K are getting a scarce as hens teeth and even though it isn't a WRC type rally, it's still pretty severe on any car of this vintage.

On modifications, you should be careful as you may find yourself protested out. I did have a set of supps posted to me, however I've carefully filed them away and am uncertain of eligibility. Further on this aspect, if modifications are a free for all, then you need to remeber that once modified you may not be able to enter any other event. Check the CAMS Manual just to be sure.

Good luck, these events are a real hoot, just remember careful planning will win through at the end of the day.

PS The ideal car for this event would be a pug! [now I'll don a bullet proof jacket and duck]!

MOM

Thanks for all the welcomes (and good to see some 240k nuts still around!)

maybe i should try and clarify some things, don't want you all thinking i am out to destroy a perfectly good (and rare) coupe!

as i said, it isn't a rally, no sideways action nothing.. it isn't even a

race! it is just basically a big car cruise in outback australia (mostly on dirt roads).

the reason we want to use the C110 is that it is the grandfather to our GTR's and a good angle for us in sponsorship (as my friend

owns Skylinesaustralia, and we will hopefully be getting sponsorship with some of it's sponsors)

both of us are very particular about our cars, and this one won't be an exception!

as it isn't a race, there are no rules as to power output etc.. as long as it is road registered and pre 1980 then it is fine..

JMT240KGTR if you can pm me some more details about the car like any mods, what needs to be completed, asking price etc that would be fantastic..

we found a c210 coupe for $500, but decided to go the c110 instead, i think it is a much better shape than the c210 (sorry to any c210 owners out there!). What sort of price would be a reasonable purchase for a c110 coupe (manual)?

again more than likely it will turn into a track day and club show car after this charity "event"

Heh,

Hey Guys, newbie here as well. My name is Christian, I am doing this charity event with Kent.

Thanks 440K for pushing Skylines Australia. (Thats actually my site). :D

If you guys saw how kent and I drive our GTR's you could rest assured that nothing would happen to the 240k, we are both slow as drivers and are more excited about cleaning the car up that actually going in the event. We just figure that we may as well hit 2 birds with one stone and get a car that we would like to use as a project car as well as something we could use in such events apart from our dailys.

Anyhoo, thanks for all the advice, everybody we have spoken to regarding this has been a great help!

Christian

Hey PranK,

I used to hang around at SDU / Skylines Australia when I had an R32. I now drive a WRX, so am no longer welcome there (Just kidding - I still visit from time to time, but hardly recognise anyone there anymore!)

The 240K, like many older Dattos lends itself to mods quite well. If you're worried about too much weight from the RB25's, don't be. The old L24 lump was one heavy unit. (Very well built , and bullet proof engine). I have a V8 in mine which probably weighs 50kg less than the original donk (being all alloy helps)

240k's didn't have discs at the back as standard, but I'm confident that the R31 Skyline discs will fit well. I have a set of R30 rear arms, and am going to try and fit those brakes to mine - just to see if I can.

If you want more info on rallying a 240K (even though you say you're not going to do any serious sideways stuff - shyeah, right!!) call Dave Gaines at Cruisin Auto Spares on the Sunshine Coast (07 5441 6411). He rallies a 240k quite successfully, and can help out with suspension and brake mods, as well as other performance ideas.

You'll find that the GTR flares can be picked up quite cheap, (look for an earlier post on this site) but other things like the mirrors, grille, rear spoiler, badges and tail lights are a bit harder to get, and can be quite expensive. I'm going to put the flares on my car, but only so I can fit some decent rubber in there. I doubt whether I'll bother with the rest of the stuff. Mine will be built for go, rather than show (if I ever get around to starting on it :disappoin )

I can't see why you shouldn't be able to pick up a reasonable 240K for a grand or so - if you can find one. A 2 door will be harder, and more expensive, but they are out there. I paid less than a grand for mine, but it basically needs a full rebuild (although the body is very rust free)

What he said. The trouble with these cars aren't the price (cheap as chips!), but rather the fact that you can't seem to find any anymore.

The C210 is just as rare in Hardtop form.

I think it's awesome that you guys want to rally one of our cars. Give the old beauties some well-deserved attention amongst the newer generation crowd!!

The 240K's had drums at the back, but the GT-R's in Japan had discs. Like Peter said though, a conversion from a later Skyline is possible.

About making it look like a GT-R. I guess you would just want the flares, and maybe a fibreglass GT-R grill. It's all pretty expensive and you'd have to import it straight from Japan, but I guess if you're running around in R33 GT-R's $600 or so for a front grille isn't THAT much...............

Let us know how you go, I'll keep an eye out for any C110 2 doors, but dont push your luck if you're trying to find one quickly, like James said...

Well guys, good news!!

we found one! it is a 1974 240K 2 door coupe 2000GTX in great condition (apart from being in a million pieces! we just have to put it all back together).

you wouldn't believe how new the front seats look, it is truly amazing! (that was the most striking thinkg about the car for me!)

it will need a fair bit of work, but the owner has already started on some of the major things, it currently has honda accord disc brakes in the front and Landcruiser calipers, adjustable front suspension (height adj.) and kyb shocks in the rear. it also came with a new extractor

It also comes with a set of GTR replica fenders and electric bluebird mirrors (to mount on the front fender)

we will be starting up a website to track progress and will post the URL for those of you who are interested when the site is registered.

we will be picking the car up in two weeks, then the real fun begins, putting it all together!

expect quite a few questions from us over the coming 4 months! (so sorry in advance!)

Wow thats great!

I saw one ad in VIC selling $500

I would be very interested on that progress site you guys are going to make.

cool its got some goodies already! aside from being a GTX very rare as well

yeah it looks a little rough at the moment (as it is all over the place, and mostly in undercoat) but it should come up really well, most of the rust (the little that it had) has been taken out, so it should be a very solid car!

the owner has the original engine, though it was in pieces and he wasn't sure if it would run, so he was going to give us a running L24 from another car instead.

the current owner had added A/C and Power steering too, more bonuses!

do you know what extra features the GTX have over the GT's (and where there any other model varients?)?

thanks

Kent