IGNORED

Kumho V70A Tyres?

260DET

Yeh, its getting near tyre replacement time again, the Dunlop DO1J's are just about stuffed. V70A's have become available at a good price, significantly cheaper than the Dunlops.

The Z does high speed circuit work, usually around 5-7 laps per 'race', called sprints because the start is staggered and times only count. And it gets very hot here in summer so I'm thinking of a medium-hard compound.

So it would be good if those of you who have used the V70A's could give their opinion, compared with Toyo and Yokohama R tyres if possible. The tyres will be used for dry circuit work only, they are changed at the track, no wet weather use.

• 1 year later...

I checked out Kumho's Austrailian site, and it looks like the ECSTA V700 sold here in the States. I have these and am very happy them. These are the only ones I've ever used and there are so many variables, but they seem to be comparable to what other guys are using.

I'm contemplating purchasing a set of V710's, but have heard mixed results with the wheel to wheel guys. Some say they're really good for the first 10 laps, but then fade off quickly. The autocrossers really like them, which would confirm this in my mind.

preith,

I've heard tell the V710s have been recalled due to some cars having serious problems. The replacement is apparently the V800 which looks something like this: http://www.kumhotyre.com/products/details.asp?curpage=110&brand_pkid=&tyre_type_pkid=&width=&aspect=&speed=&Rim=&sub_type=&stdrim=&tube_type=&sidewall=&load_index=&load_index2=&pattern_name=&SearchType=

This is just rumour though.. make of it what you will.

Dave

preith,

I've heard tell the V710s have been recalled due to some cars having serious problems. The replacement is apparently the V800 which looks something like this: http://www.kumhotyre.com/products/details.asp?curpage=110&brand_pkid=&tyre_type_pkid=&width=&aspect=&speed=&Rim=&sub_type=&stdrim=&tube_type=&sidewall=&load_index=&load_index2=&pattern_name=&SearchType=

This is just rumour though.. make of it what you will.

Dave

The V710's were discontinued temporarily due to sidewall failures, or something similar to that, but were reinstated in the spring of this year. If they've been discontinued again, it's news to me. Even with that blemish on the record, since then they've received rave reviews from the autocross crowd who say they're better than the Hoosiers.

Preith,

Yep that sounds like it. Good to hear they are back, I heard that if you could get them not to die they were unbelievable. I wonder how long until they filter down under.

Are they readily available in the states? The V710s I mean.

Dave

From what I've read on the SCCA forums they are in somewhat limited supply, but nobody on that board has had any problems getting them.

Per my 1st post, I'm really interested in buying a set but am a little apprehensive how they will react to road racing.

Tis a worry to be sure, noone likes to spend money to have the tyres disintegrate. What size rubber are you running in the V700s? And what compound?

Dave

225/50/15's, and I don't know what compound. As far as I know there isn't any selection available.