resealed engine? - 240K Skyline - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

resealed engine?

Featured Replies

there's a 72 240z for sale in phoenix AZ described with a resealed engine. what the heck is that? is anyone familiar with this car (yellow $6000). looks like a good deal if it weren't so far away form me. listed in collector car trader

I have no idea what they mean unless they are talking about new rings . Send them a email.

  • Author

this does not mean rebuilt? why go through the labor of resealing and not rebuilding? you got the engine torn apart anyways.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

You don't have to have the engine torn apart completely to replace the front and rear main seals. The rear seal can be changed by removing the trans and flywheel. The front seal "may" (I've never tried it, but I know a mechanic who says he can do it) be changed without removing the Timing cover, but anyway it can be changed by pulling the Timing cover. You don't even need to pull the head if you are careful.

"Resealed" would not mean "Rebuilt" to me. There is a lot more to rebuilding an engine that "seals". Rings, rod bearings, crank bearings, and the attendent machine work, valve work, etc

You have to remove the timing cover to get to the front seal. You can do it with the engine still in the car but its a pain in the arse.

I too have heard of people changing the timing cover seal on a 'L' engine without removing the timing cover but I've never tried it. The times that I have done it I had the cover off because I was doing other things to the motor.

To me, reseal is what you do to an engine that leaks oil. Crank oil seals, sump gasket seals, and tappet cover gasket.

I did it on a rally engine after running into a tree. The front of the engine was damaged (timing cover and pulley were smashed). I pulled the sump off to check the internal condition of the engine. As everything looked ok (bit of wear in the bearings, but I knew either don't touch it, or do a full rebuild and make it worthwhile).

I just picked up a gasket kit (or maybe had one lying around, can't remember) and reassembled the engine with new oil gaskets and seals.

That engine did several more rallies until I finally sold the car.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.