IGNORED

Parts Car - What parts are worth?

Murph

Hi Alan,

Yes I made the connection to the Carl Beck figures and yes the figures are sketchy at best, and no there is no mention of the local market cars and yes, I knew you would answer this one as it is one of your pet hates, for want of a better term.

Having said that, I don't see that the AUSTRALIAN figures can be 100's or 1000's out, and I was on this occasion only talking about Aus delivered cars.

Yes we were a dumping ground (after the 240Z) for a mixed up car that should have been a 2468Z by the time our 260Z model run ended in 1977. This being said I believe our 260Z was probably one of the better mixes of car, and that is only MY opinion. Compared to the 2+2 and 2 seaters sold in the US our cars look about a foot shorter anyway without the 5MPH rule bumpers.

I haven't meant to offend anyone and if I have I do apologize.

I am also sorry for hijacking this thread.

I am a Proud and PASSIONATE 260Z 2+2 owner.

Alan P.

Hi Alan,

Yes - in many ways I agree. I have always thought that the RS30 models were one of the better S30-series models, but were slated for problems that could have been easily sorted. If the RS30 model had been fitted with fuel-injection from the beginning then it would surely have inherited a better reputation. I love the earlier cars, but I've always fancied a bone-stock RS30 ( RHD ) "260Z" model as a "keeper".

I also have a soft spot for the 2+2 ( 2/2 in Japan ) in bone-stock condition. I agree that these are increasingly rare, but I have noticed that they have a very loyal following and that some people ( at least here in the UK ) have been aiming at top-notch restorations on them. They will indeed be some of the rarer first-generation Z models.

Over here in the UK we also saw some slightly strange HS30 / RS30 hybrids at the point of changeover, and they are always entertaining as Nissan seems to have had a somewhat ad-hoc policy in applying parts and spec. changes and in logging them accurately. Buying parts for these cars can be a little bit difficult without knowing exactly what was previously fitted. Compare this to the USA and Japanese markets, which seem to have been very well documented and 'planned'. However, I would not call the Australian / NZ / UK markets 'dumping grounds', and I would have thought it was probably more ****-up than conspiracy ( as usual! ). I also think that ALL of the first-generation RHD cars got a bit confused around the 74, 74, 75 period. I suspect that they were the victim of the big internal changes at Nissan around that time, and related to other factors such as local-market laws and the Oil Crisis etc.

I agree that the figures are probably not thousands out for the Australian-market, but I reckon they might well be a few hundred out. Above all, I'm trying to make the point that we CANNOT trust any list that so blatantly ignores a whole raft of 'other' RHD Z cars. Its weird.

There is STILL no definitive list of production figures that breaks down ALL markets and models. Even the Nissan Shatai figures only quote "Export" and "Domestic" versions.

I'm sorry to jump in on this with hobnail boots, but whenever I see those "Datsun 280ZX" book figures being quoted as though they are gospel truth I feel obliged to point out that they are crock. Surely this is only too painfully obvious if we look at what they purport to show?

Cheers,

Alan T.

Originally posted by HS30-H

Buying parts for these cars can be a little bit difficult without knowing exactly what was previously fitted.

Cheers,

Alan T.

Ha, would love to have a $1 for every time I've had to take parts back because they where from a different model year. Spot on Alan T.

The best so far has been 280z parts [remember that model didn't exist in AUS] for the 260. Still can't exactly remember which rear brake it uses, as I have all 3 as spares!

I seem to also remember some figures posted by KATS last year on the S30, didn't those given the definitive number?

Yes Alan P, those figures that where quoted are as rubbery as a rubber check, and feel exactly the same when I see them quoted.

MOM

OK Alan, I feel compelled to reply. Yes, I did misread your post; cant really see why you are lumping the entire 2 seater line (ie 240z and 260z) in together and then comparing them to the 2+2.

Anyway, I misread this part.

I have posted here many times in the past advocating the preservation of the 2+2 as I believe, as by the sounds of it you also do, that one day there wont be many left in circulation at all, most being parted out and eventually scrapped.

I am kicking myself for selling my 260z 2+2 about 5 years ago when I purchased my 240z; I should have kept it. It was BONE stock and would have made a great example with a refresh.

To say that you will have only one of two in existenance, although tounge-in-cheek (assumed) is a little strange. I know many 2+2 owners and have seen amny examples in good condition; lets hope they stay this way.

Regards

Joseph

Hi Joseph,

I really built up a head of steam didn't I. As I said later I do apologize if I offended, that wasn't my intention.

Those figures have been posted on this site numerous times before and no doubt will be again. Everyone is correct about them being very rubbery, but as a guide to Aus figures, MY belief is they would probably be within a few hundred of being close to the mark.

The thing that gets me going on this site sometimes, are the people who jump in on the 2+2 bandwagon, and bag the sh*t out of these cars because it is sometimes seen, I THINK, to be the right thing to do. It's only small comments a lot of the time like"Yeah it looks great shame it's a 2+2 though"

I have driven both 2 seaters and obviously 2+2's, how many of the baggers of these cars have actually even driven a 2+2.

Someone not so long ago was telling us how awfull the flat top carbs were and then in the next sentence tells us that he's never even seen a set in person, only ever seen one photo of them fitted to a car. What an informed opinion for us all.

Having driven both and they do drive differently, both cars have in my opinion for's and against's. I like how the longer wheel base of the 2+2 corners as opposed to the 2 seater as an example, this may come down to the way I drive a car through a given corner, who knows. I would love to have a bone stock 240 out in my shed, but for different reasons than probably a lot of others.

My comment that Zedrally and myself would have the only two 2+2 cars left was VERY tounge-in-cheek.

My car will not be completely stock when it is finished, but that also is a choice for me to make.

Regards,

Alan P.

I have a 2+2. Going to be cutting it up into pieces one of these days. Bought it for parts. Had been sitting since 1996.

Too far gone with rust to be saved. (Pics in my gallery)

I dont dislike the 2+2's, its just that I think the 2 seaters are better looking. Some guys here in Perth have some really nicely restored 2+2's. (check out www.wazregister.com/gallery/2003 Z Day/ for some pictures)

But getting back to what this thread is supposed to be about.

Justin. If the cars not too rusty it might be worth saving. Have you thought about selling the whole car as is?

Problem is that alot of people just dont want 2+2's. Unless like me you are after some spare parts.

Also in my gallery is a silver 2+2 that a guy I know is trying to sell for $2500. It registered, but hasnt been regularly driven since the 1980's and has 22000kms on the clock. It's worth saving in my opinion, but I wouldnt pay $2500 for it.