IGNORED

New member here...

threefittyzee

Hey guys. I am currently a 350Z owner (don't hold it against me!)

...but I just purchased a 1972 Datsun 240Z in great shape from a private seller. I want to restore it and keep it stock and original, but am not terribly familiar with this car, except to say I love the way it looks.

I just wanted to introduce myself and hopefully you guys will have some advice for me down the road.

God knows I will need it!:stupid:

Thanks.

Welcome...

If you have a question, use our Search Box first, for the simple reason, if it's gone wrong with an early car it's probably been asked and answered. If not, we're always ready for a new one that leaves us banging our heads on the keyboard.....LOL

Welcome to the club! You will always find great advice in this club for your 240. I don't think you will find any advice here for your Texas painted 350, LOL. Let us know which you like most, your 240 or your 350. This would be interesting....:D

Originally posted by Ed

Welcome to the club! You will always find great advice in this club for your 240. I don't think you will find any advice here for your Texas painted 350, LOL. Let us know which you like most, your 240 or your 350. This would be interesting....:D

Well Ed...to be honest...

I love them both for different reasons, but there seems to be alot of 350Z-bashing on this forum.

I don't really understand what brings that on.

Do you?

NOt that I have anything against the 350, I wouldn't mind having one myself (the wife would kill me if I came home with one:D ).

But this site is "mainly" dedicated to the older body style 240-280Z.

This helps us maintain our current knowledge base that everyone enjoys and finds invaluable.:classic:

That works. I have another forum for the 350Z, so I'll be sure to only ask 240Z-related questions here, as not to offend anyone! LOL!

Anyway, being that I just bought this car (240Z)...

Can you guys suggest a good self-help repair guide for it?

I've checked Chilton's, but all they have is a mixed Datsun book.

I want something solely dedicated to the 240Z.

Help?

You can check on E-bay. Every now and then a factory manual will pop up for the appropriate year. Not really sure if anyone still sells factory manuals for a 72 (someone else will know though). BTW back to my previous question: Tell us what your opinion of the 350 vs the 240 is:classic: . No bad things though just the good points of each:D .

Originally posted by Ed

You can check on E-bay. Every now and then a factory manual will pop up for the appropriate year. Not really sure if anyone still sells factory manuals for a 72 (someone else will know though). BTW back to my previous question: Tell us what your opinion of the 350 vs the 240 is:classic: . No bad things though just the good points of each:D .

Well, to begin with...I like the fact that the 240Z will be fairly easy to fix/replace engine parts, and that it envokes Z heritage every time I look at it. It really is a beautiful car.

The 350Z is a powerful, torquey car that handles incredibly, that is beautiful in a different way.

The one thing that I've noticed the most...is the generation gap of admirers of these 2 cars.

Generally, it's the older crowd that comments on the 240Z...whereas the younger crowd tends to drool over the 350Z.

As far as driving characteristics are concerned...they are totally different.

I don't push the 240Z, or drive it agressively. I get more satisfaction just cruising and being seen in it.

Whereas, pushing the 350Z to its limits is when it truly shines.

There's really nothing more satisfying than feeling the tightness of its suspension around a corner, or its instant drive-by-wire throttle response.

Does that help a little?

Check with Chloe at MidwestZ, she may have factory manuals.

If you watch on Ebay for a user by the username "datsundude", he still sells some of the early manuals, all new.

I've heard that there are certain model years of the manual that are getting very hard to come by now, possibly the 72 model year as there are still so many of them on the road.

You can still get copies of How To Restore Your Datsun Z-Car on Amazon the last I knew. Doesn't show much as far as mechanical, but might help with body disassembly.