IGNORED

Anyone have an orange 280?

Zvoiture

WOW! You posted that TWO DAYS AGO??? That's what I get for beng scarce around here the past month or so. Unbelievable. So there was one on e-bay claiming originality. And we are still waiting for someone else to know of an orange 280. Thanks for finding that, pimp-dude--errrrrrrr--Michael.

Hello? Anyone? Hello? Beuller? .... Bueller? .... Bueller?

steve

If you go back and look at the zhome page you'll see that it's a bit ambiguous about what colors are for what years. Just above the 260Z/280Z list it has this list:

"Paint Codes and Interior Colors 1970 Through 1976:

1970 and 71 Model Year Cars

901 Light Metallic Gray or Silver Metallic

903 Blue (till 8/71)

904 White (till 7/75)

905 Red (till 8/71)

907 Dark Green (till 8/71)

918 Orange

919 Yellow (till 8/71)

920 Gold (till 8/71)

Added/Changed for 72/73 Model Year Cars

110 Red (from 9/71 on)

112 Yellow (from 9/71) (aka: Lime)

113 Green Metallic (from 9/71) (aka: Leaf Green / Avocado)

114 Bronze Metallic (from 9/71) (aka: coco / dark brown)

115 Blue Metallic (from 9/71)

260Z/280Z ...."

Oddly it says '70-76 at the start - so does it mean those listed without "(till 8/71)" continued on until '76? If so I don't know what that means for your '77 anyway.

Also sblake and cnixgo mentioned that 510Blue isn't on the list so there are bound to be others. Anyone have access to Carl Beck to find out where his list came from?

How about the yellow on the 77 'Zap' cars or the black on the 78 "BPE" cars. I think that list needs some work and I've not been able to find one anywhere else. In a similar post I replied that I had never seem a orange 280Z and that very day I saw a 75 in the junkyard that was orange with no signs of having been repainted. The sticker was gone and the orange was brighter where it was.

one more piece of evidence I just thought about (mabye redundant). Just last week I talked to a friend to mentioned that back in the 70's he had an orange (or persimmon) 280Z original paint. so there was at least one more out there.

Proxlamus - do you still have the original paint code sticker? I'm wondering if it's the same used for the 240Z's or a different color.

Something that might be helpful would be to find the datsun/nissan paint chips for those years. Somewhere on the site there is a link to an online paint or car parts dealer that lets you pull up JPG's of any manufacturers paint codes for any year. I can't find the link now. It wouldn't tell you which ones were used for Z's but it could at least supply the paint codes for the ones we suspect were available. Not sure where else to look for this kind of info. Maybe photos of dealer car lots back in the 70's? Or photos from old Z meets - before they started being re-painted.

The details of Z paint codes really interests me and I'd like to see it all straightened out. I've been working to fill out the gallery on my website for all interested in this. Though I've started taking shortcuts, such as stealing pics from Ebay from owners claiming to have original paint, I'm trying to keep it as accurate as possible. I've also added the Zzzap and Black SE's that aren't in Carl's list. http://www.datsunprojects.org/zpaintcodes.html

• 2 months later...

I've contacted the owner and this one is 110 Red and one of the last US 280Z's built.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2482186302

So it looks like 110 was probably used from '71 (when 905 red was stopped) through the end of the S30 Z's as Proxlamus' z would also suggest. Looks like the zhome list and my page need updates!

Michael