IGNORED

Steering Wheel Question

peterpit

Is it possible or not to switch the steering wheeel in my 76 280z for a wooden one from a 240. I've seen several on sale on ebay and I really like the look of the wood. Just want to know if will work. Some may consider this taboo. Thanks!

Don't know about the swap, (although I believe it can be done) but there was a string of IZCC posts recently that went on almost forever about whether the wheel was wood or plastic. Turns out it is plastic, I think. There was a good article on refurbishing the plastic wheel in an issue of SportZ magazine last year.

Yes the 240 steering wheel will swap onto a 280Z! Although the center button is mounted differently so you may need to adapt it or get the center cushion too. I'll try to compare my 240 and 280 this weekend and respond with more info.

Oh yeah, the 240 wheels are not wood! They are a very interesting and workable plastic type material. From what I have seen it is very durable and from what I have read it can be restored.

Have fun!

peterpit,The 240 steering wheel does look good.One item I wish to make you aware.The small diameter of the wheel really tired my hands out after a couple of hours.Of course it may fit your hands just fine.Just a thought before you go through all the efforts. Have fun!! Daniel

DANIEL points out the "problem" with the early Z's thin "wooden" wheel. I have long been looking, albeit casually, for a thicker wheel but haven't found one yet that looks as nice as the original.

My son has a built-up-wood wheel in his Mustang that is nice, but it is only 13" in diameter. With the Armstrong Power Steering in the early Z's, the 15" diameter original wheel is more than just a luxury. I don't think I'm up to parallel parking the Z with a 13" wheel..........

You might try driving a Z with the "wooden" wheel before you make your decision.

I have a 'wooden' 240 wheel in my zed, they look really nice but I have also noticed how they are a bit diffulcult at times. But I'll keep it anyway, since its an antique an all :DROFLLOL

• 4 weeks later...

Yes the early 240 wheels can be refinished. I refinished mine a couple of months ago and it turned out like brand new. I recently bought a wheel for a guy out of country and was going to ship to him and he changed his mind, so I am going to re do it and sell it on e-bay. Apearently there were wooden wheels on some of the first Zs. Because an aquaintance of mine had a '70 that he wrecked and the wooden wheel shattered and he still has a piece of it in his tool box. Sport Z magazine had a how to article in it , By the way it's a great magazine . Only Z - cars.

Just my two cents worth but if you do go to get a wooden Z steering wheel (whcih there was a bit of debate as to if they were really wood or not, but lets save that discussion for a rainy day). I had this ugly chain steering wheel in my old 240Z when I originally bought it. I looked for a few original Z steering wheels, I found two I liked. The first one I made a mistake of letting the guys at the salvage yard pull for me. While wrestling it out they chipped the wood in several places and warped it in other places. Of course they frowned at me when I refused the part. The second steering wheel I was lucky enough to find already pulled and in decent shape. :D Replace your horn button when you change the wheel, good cheap horn insurance.

I am sorry to digress a little but does anyone find that the original wheel is a little too large in diameter for the indicator stork??

I always find trouble finding it as its way too short and thus too far behind the wheel for my clumsy fat fingers.

Maybe someone else has fabricated some sort of stalk extender? I was thinking of strapping a pencil to it, which should give me the extra few inches I need. LOL

I'd be very interested to hear if its just me.

I am not sure I understand the question about the indicater being too short. If you mean reaching the turn indicator with your hand on the wheel , I have never had that problem. but I drive a left hand drive if that makes a difference .

Gary,

After speaking to a few people about this I'm coming to the conclusion that its just me! I think maybe cos the stork its so thin and the wheel is so large I have difficulty finding it but I dunno??

Peter - I am sorry to be yabbling on about this on your post:finger:

I wish you luck with the wheel, but as the guys have said bear in mind the thinness and the diameter of the wheel, it does get a bit of getting use to and if yours is like mine, NOT a daily driver and only comes out to play thrice a month then it will take longer!:D Give someone elses a go first!

Good luck:)