IGNORED

help! with 2+2 Tranny Swap

280ZWarrior

Okay here is my problem. I'm new to this board and did a whole bunch of searches for this bout couldn't find exactly what I am looking for.

I have a 1978 280Z 2+2. It is an automatic and I am thinking about swapping in a 5spd. I found a 5spd from a 280Z coupe (Not a 2+2).

I was wondering if the 5spd tranny from the coupe is the same size as my automatic? And if this will swap out with no problems?

If the 5spd tranny is shorter than the automatic, the drveshaft won't reach the tranny, right? Also the drive shaft from the 280Z coupe will be too short also, right?

I really appreciate any advice I can get. I am new to the Z world as I am only 18yrs and have only had my Z for a year.

• 2 months later...

The transmissions in coups and 2+2's are the same. But, your driveshaft from the auto will not hook up to the 5-speed. No because of length but because of the spline difference.

You will need the driveshaft from a 280Z 2+2 with a manual transmission. (doesn't matter if it had a 4 or 5-speed) Hook that driveshaft up to any Z 5-speed that you put in your car. (even a 280zx 5-speed)

Since you are new to z-cars, be sure to not get a driveshaft from a 1979-83 280ZX. They are different. You can use those transmissions but get a driveshaft from a 280Z 2+2 1975-78. The 1974 260Z also had a 2+2 option but I'm not sure about the driveshaft on those, so avoid them if you don't find any info on them. 240Z's never came in 2+2 bydystyle

In the 280Z's the 5-speed was an option starting in 1977. Older Z-cars may have a 5-speed though because a lot of people have owned them and done swaps through the years. But also don't assume a 1977 or 78 280Z has a 5-speed just because it is a manual. Move the shift to check for 5th gear.

You might get the fly wheel and clutch and pressure plate and I think the throw out berring link. from the donnor car . The 2 + 2 used a different size clutch , slightly larger , than the coupe but I dont know what all is involved in the differences., other than the surface area of the clutch is larger. Maby some one here that has done this swap could advise. :classic:

The 2+2 has more pressure and a wider surface area. Keep your existing clutch kit from the 2+2 or you can use a coupe flywheel and clutch together for a lighter clutch pedal. Either way will work. For a non-turbo, the larger clutch is overkill unless you really want to drive hard.

• 5 years later...

Hey 280z warrior, I was going to sell my 82 2x2 as a whole cars, which is what im advertising, but I'm willing to sell you the stuff you need. I have decided to strip the parts i can use along with the oem rims and get rid of the rest. Let me know....I live in edinburg tx and the zipcode 78542.

There is a very detailed thread here that describes EXACTLY what you need. Search again.

The driveshaft was not one of the items you need to find if I remember correctly, but check that thread to be sure. Last one I did was too long ago to remember that detail.

I think I have a 2+2 drive shaft for you if it comes down to that. PM me.

Jim

Edited by zKars