IGNORED

Need help identify missing part

Packerz

Hello!  I am Nearing completion of a restoration (final phase is interior renewal/replacement of original finishing panels) for my 1977 280.  I need help identifying missing part for space "cut out" .  This empty space is above drivers side lower finishing panel (above hood release and vent Knob) and below dash.  There is a threaded attaching spot in the middle of this open area on the metal behind dash/panel .  My car has factory A/C if that matters?  I will try to send picture attachment to clarify mystery space?  If it would be better to post this question in another forum, please let me know...I'm trying to access a 280Z (1977?) "resident guru" ?     Any help...please e-mail me directly at:

dbparker54@yahoo.com.   This is the final step in a long (Very Long) restoration so I'd like o solve this mystery and call it done?

Thank you for any mystery solution!   Doug Parker.  PackerZ

I will send photo from my I phone in separate post...damn technology ?

77178966-1380-4403-95BD-EF0F47A5B23F.jpeg

Edited by Packerz
Add photo

The only thing missing is one of your dash retaining bolts.

There was never anything installed in that "empty spot", It's simply a recessed area for one of the mounting bolts that holds the dash in place. There is supposed to be a bolt in the threaded hole that helps hold the dash. Yours is missing.

If I had to guess, they may have used that location on earlier years to attach the hood release and vent control. But then they put in the lower valence panel and I think they changed how the vent and hood release are attached.

Anyway, the only thing you are missing is a bolt.

Thank you for your reply to my posting.  I truthfully do not remember this open space originally but I cannot figure out what could have gone there it was over a year before I started this project.  I should have taken pictures to refer back to...I never dreamed I wouldn't put this all back together SO much sooner and just put all the nuts, screws and panels/parts in a box marked "interior"?  It just seems so odd that this space would have been left open from the factory...but then again, I don't have anything in my "interior box" left over.  Still a mystery if it was (what) or never was to begin with and try to ignore...  so many mysteries were found , and had to be solved, during this "project".  Thank you again for responding!!!     Doug

• 3 weeks later...

Quick walk downstairs to snap some pics. Same hole as the OP has and I can say for sure there's never been any switch there. It may be a good spot for a toggle switch but is more suited for a anti theft kill switch, it's a difficult location.

And the blanks on the console in second picture.

20171027_230305.jpg

20171027_230351.jpg

Edited by siteunseen

13 minutes ago, tzagi1 said:

Guess I'm wrong..just never seen that hole on a z before..

One can wonder what it was intended for then...?

I'm glad you brought that back up. That would be a great spot for a push button starter.

Thank you! That's on my list of things to do.

These cars are so easy to steal, I've heard.

Edited by siteunseen

I always pulled the coil wire when I left one overnight but those days are over, no more one nighters at my age. :D

I wish all cars were manual shift. That would cut out the smartphone/ unlimited minutes drivers that scare me. They're the reason I don't ride motors anymore. Probably for the best, I crashed a lot.

• Like 1

I don't know what that hole is for either, but my theory is the same as site's. A tooling hole for a locating pin to aid in dash alignment and installation.

5 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

They're the reason I don't ride motors anymore.

I may have mentioned this already, but I think I'm going to sell mine. The lack of focus from other drivers is so scary. The constant worrying takes some of the joy out of it.