IGNORED

1981 280ZX Turbo going to the Crusher

280ZX-Boy

I'm new on this forum and still have yet to get the hang of how it all works.  I'm actually on this forum for one simply reason:  I have a friend who has a non-running 1981 280ZX Turbo just sitting in his yard that he is about to send to the crusher.  Has no interest in it at all and doesn’t even want to spend the time to try selling it or parting it out.  It’s all original and the body looks good (with some missing accent parts), has a fairly in tact engine and most of the interior.  I’m actually a Mustang restorer and if I saw a Mustang like this that was all original, I know that the folks on the Mustang forum would love to take it off the owner’s hands just for the original parts alone.  However, I’m not familiar with the Z-car culture or very knowledgeable about this particular year and model to know if this is a real bonanza for any of your restorer types in Z-world. 

This car is in Paradise, CA and I believe it’s always been a California car (hence no salt damage).   I believe the owner might even just give this car away if someone did all the transport work. I have many digital pics and can take more of whatever if any seriously interested party wants to better evaluate this car.

I’m not going to put a lot of time in this “advertisement” because like I said, I’m not even a Z fan.  But as a fellow auto restorer and know this car must have some value for someone restoring one of these.  If no interest, then this car goes to the crusher.  If seriously interested, email me at boeingboy@yahoo.com

81 280ZX T a.jpg

81 280ZX T b.JPG

Dr Tag.JPG

Eng.JPG

Inter.jpg

Wow that is very cool of you. I think Cali has those laws where you have to pay back registrations. It may be a lot if it's been awhile. (2009)

If it does end up going ask him if you can steal parts from it before it goes and grab:

head, Ecu,turbo, turbo exhaust manifold, injectors, engine harness, afm, turbo emblems, crank sensor and harmonic balancer, wheel center caps

sell it all on eBay or local Craigslist. Put money in mustangs!!

Might want to post this over at hybridz.org too. You have to be a paying member to sell in for sale section but since your doing this for someone else you may just want to post in the general section. 

Edited by JSM

Well, that's just the thing.  He wants the entire car moved out, not pieced out.  He doesn't like people on his property any more than they have to be, and its a gated property - that's why nobody else has ever known this car was there - just me.  I'm not going to put much more time into this situation so I'm hoping someone will email me, arrange for a removal date and take it!   Even if he wanted $50 or $100, its a rolling, all original car that if parted out could be worth hundreds at the very least.  A desirable year & model Mustang like this would part out easily at well over $2000. On the Mustang forum this kind of deal would have already gotten dozens of responses - guess 'Stang owners are just more passionate about their cars.  Bottom line is I'm not going to do any wrenching on this - just pictures - hands too busy on my Mustang.  So hopefully I'll get some responses or it goes to the crusher!  I'll be checking for responses here as well as my email. 

Ref Registration: I don’t believe registration is a factor if the car is parted out (unless you are using its VIN on another restoration '81 280ZX car).  If you were going to completely restore THIS particular car, then it very well could cost you unless the owner has had the car on a “non-operational” registration (costs just a one time $10 fee).

Edited by 280ZX-Boy
added content

That engine would sell quick. Someone has already taken the injectors, but the rest looks like its there.

Like JSM said, You could make easy $1000 buy pulling the engine, ecu and the efi harness and selling the parts or half that if you let the engine go complete.

Its an auto so the engine, diff (R180 3.545:1 ratio) and half shafts have had an easier life than they would with a manual.

If you don't want to do the work and no one wants to pick it up, you can strip the easy parts.

A short list for starters (going by the photos):

ECU.

AFM (Air Flow Meter)

Distributor

EFI injector cooler fan (on other side of engine with pipes over vavle cover)

Oil pump.

Engine bay trouble light

Maybe the Fuel pump. (Rear passender side. Stanley knife, pliers, 12mm socket)

That stuff will take about 1 - 2 hours to remove and sell easy.

It would be a shame to let it all go to the crusher. Hope someone picks it up.

Edited by EuroDat

I hear what you are saying.  I have found discarded classic Mustangs and with simple hand tools pulled hundreds of dollars worth of parts in under an hour – of course I know Mustangs and what all the valuables are.  There was a 1973 Mustang 351C coupe (in fair to poor condition) that arrived at the Chico auto dismantler last year and within hours several people (including me) were on it.  The next day it was working elbow to elbow with others and by the end of the day there was just the bare frame left!  I just can’t believe I haven’t gotten more responses on this free Z offer!!  I really do hope someone responds that is able to come with a trailer and just load the whole thing up.  The owner doesn’t want me wrenching on the car on his property.  He just wants it gone – period!  Either someone is going to take the entirety to the crusher or  to a garage to strip, restore or whatever.  Those are the only two options.

I'm including some more pics.  And those wheels you see are solid wheels, not hub caps.  Owner told me they were a high dollar optional package.  They alone would probably be worth a few hundred!  I wish he'd allow me to wrench on this just for an hour.  As I'm looking more and more at what's here I'm beginning to realize you're right - I could make some money on this if I just hauled it off myself.  It's a matter of time and space for me.  So it's still up for grabs!

81 280ZX T c.JPG

81 280ZX T d.JPG

81 280ZX T e.JPG

81 280ZX T f.JPG

81 280ZX T g.JPG

Edited by 280ZX-Boy
added pics

Some us here frequent several other Z-based forums.  That car would go quickly if you posted over on hybridz.org.  I can post a link over there back to this site.  I'll do that if you don't reply here in the next 20 minutes.  "Free 1981 280ZX Turbo car, intact, with engine, in Paradise, CA.  You haul" should do it.

Anybody, please feel free to pass the word along to any other forums or friends you know.  I’ve forwarded some of these replies to the owner to get him to possibly allow me to do some wrenching but he’s firm on “it all goes in one solid piece”.    However, he now is realizing the car is worth something and is now wanting to have some bucks for it.  When I asked him how much he was thinking he muttered figures like $500-800.  I don’t think I’m going to forward any more online inputs to him.  He’s not really aware of its full potential value and I want to keep it like that, otherwise he’s going to start asking for amounts nobody is going to pay.  Had someone jumped right on this from my initial posting, they’d probably gotten it for free.  So I’m keeping my mouth shut now with him and just hoping someone out there tells me they’ve got a trailer and are ready to pull this car off before he gets greedy. 

Edited by 280ZX-Boy

I edited that other forum thread and it will probably be disappeared.  You're supposed to a donating member to sell things on that forum.

If he's muttering $500-800 then it's not free and he's not going to junk it.  Post his craigslist ad when he puts it together or you get a firm price.  He's your friend, but it looks like moving the car will be a hassle, just due to indecisiveness.  It would be a real bummer to rent a trailer and show up for your free car then be held hostage for a cash ransom.  No offense. It has probably sat so long because he thought it had value and now that he's confirmed that it does it will probably sit another 8 years.

Nice try though, and thanks.

I think the problem shifting it is in the model. Not many want the 2800ZX (S130) and a lot different to the 240Z - 280Z (S30). The S30 guys mostly want the turboed engine, diff half shafts, maybe brakes.

If I was in the area, I would take it in a second, but I'm on the other side of the planet....

I’m going to see if I can get him to give me a definite hard firm bottom line price that he will stay at.  I’ll post this on here and then that’s all I’m going to involve myself with this.  I’m not putting any of my money down on listing this car and know he won’t.  After that effort, frankly I’m done with my part in this – was just trying to give a heads up to anyone who might have wanted it.  Thanks for everyone's inputs.