IGNORED

Using Chevette Springs to Re-gain Original Ride Height

Hardway

Leon,

Your explaination is correct. What I was really hoping to get back was what "softer" shocks are available... I have a contact who develops custom shocks. They haven't worked on any for our old S30's, (market is too small), and they are a bit too expensive for a weekend street car.

Leon,

Your explaination is correct. What I was really hoping to get back was what "softer" shocks are available... I have a contact who develops custom shocks. They haven't worked on any for our old S30's, (market is too small), and they are a bit too expensive for a weekend street car.

I've been looking forward to getting some Bilsteins or Konis, as their valving seems to be "better" than Tokico's. However, I haven't done enough research as to which ones work for Zs and what's out there. I know John C. is involved in getting some Bilstein's that could be used for Zs but not a lot of news on that front.

The P30-0032 Bilsteins are available, the issue is getting the correct gland nut. Its really hit or miss on whether you can get the gland nuts. There are two part numbers to choose from and I just received three of one and one of the other on an order. I'll have to cut the one down with a lathe to get it to work.

These shocks will work well for all street and most light duty track and autocross cars. Non-adjustable but the valving is good to 250/275 lb. in. and they are digressive. I'm still waiting for the 36mm Bilstein Motorsports shocks.

The P30-0032 Bilsteins are available, the issue is getting the correct gland nut. Its really hit or miss on whether you can get the gland nuts. There are two part numbers to choose from and I just received three of one and one of the other on an order. I'll have to cut the one down with a lathe to get it to work.

These shocks will work well for all street and most light duty track and autocross cars. Non-adjustable but the valving is good to 250/275 lb. in. and they are digressive. I'm still waiting for the 36mm Bilstein Motorsports shocks.

Cool, thanks John! Great info.

Sounds like the P30-0032 works with sectioned struts. Digressive valving is something that the Tokicos are sorely lacking. If the Tokicos actually do have digressive valving, then their compression damping is just way too damn stiff.

The P30 Bilsteins are sounding like the ones to get for me, as I'm looking for the car to ride better but not be severely underdamped for autoX and the track.

My P30-0032 valving is linear. I've got a dyno plot somewhere around here for my revalved struts. The valving was changed, but the pistons were not. It graphs out almost straight on bump and rebound.

Are you familiar enough with Tokicos (HP or Illumina) to compare them (ride and road-holding) to the P30?

Not familiar enough with the P30. Haven't run it yet, and mine are valved funky (valved approx 60% critical damping of the UNsprung weight) so I don't know that I'd be the best person to ask. Mine won't ride well, that's a guarantee. I don't like the Tokicos much though, I can tell you that. Ran Illuminas for years and have friends with Blues. I think they're overly damped on compression so that they work well with the common but too soft lowering springs. It would be interesting to see a dyno graph from an Illumina to compare to a Bilstein, but just based on my previous experience with Bilsteins in other applications, I'd guess that the Bilsteins are better.

JC, do you know what spring rates the 36mm shocks are valved for, or are they custom valved on an individual basis?

JM, regarding the funky valving on your shocks, I believe compression damping is usually valved taking UNsprung mass into account and rebound damping is valved for the sprung mass. Are yours valved differently?

I'm hoping the Bilsteins are better too, the Tokicos are definitely too stiff in compression.