IGNORED

5 speed knob reproduction?

Decoy12

I was wondering if anyone knows of anyone that reproduces the JDM 5 speed wooden shift knobs. I had a JDM one accidentally fall and the plastic lense/gear map shattered :cry: :sick: I was hoping that someone made a repro I could buy? :(

211ib.jpg

Edited by Decoy12

I'm in process of trying to make one for when I install my 5-speed. Have two fabrication paths I'm going to try.

1) 3D printed blanks that need white paint, then I'm going to try applying some casting resin.

2) Printed 5-speed logo on photo paper, glued to a disk and covered with casting resin.

For both ways, once casting resin is cured hard, it can be sanded convex and polished.

If either process works, I'll post pictures.

I appreciate the response and have my fingers crossed that everything works out well! If you do succeed, would you consider making a duplicate?

I feel terrible about losing such a part that I have been after for a while now... I saw a reproduction on ebay, but it looks off not to mention they want $200 for it...

Still waiting on my tooling, but getting excited about the plan! When I get everything sorted out, I'll post pics side by side with the new Nissan version and my original versions. Personally I would rather have restored original parts than new parts that may fit but have lost much in the consolidation of part numbers the resultant loss of manufacturing to original specs.

If any of you have knobs with good wood(the condition of plastic pieces do not matter at all), I need several to test with and photograph...we can work something out, PM me.

Edited by hls30.com

Does anyone know where we can get a emblem reproduced in the original "Cloisonne" technique?? I can reproduce the shift knob on a lathe. I made one for my Z out of Mesquite wood and used the original emblem. I suppose that once I got the process refined, I could make a few of them... just throwing it out there...

Does anyone know where we can get a emblem reproduced in the original "Cloisonne" technique?? I can reproduce the shift knob on a lathe. I made one for my Z out of Mesquite wood and used the original emblem. I suppose that once I got the process refined, I could make a few of them... just throwing it out there...

Having them made in cloisonné would be easy enough - just would have to go with a minimum quantity which could be a 200 year supply depending on demand.

Dennis