IGNORED

Textron safe/effective for cleaning fuel injectors in 1977 280z?

jkeese01

Ethanol eats old rubber fuel lines but typical gas contains only about 6% ethanol so i wouldn't imagine immediate effects . If you have changed your fuel lines in the last 10 years your probably fine. Ethanol fuel also goes bad faster but stabil makes a ethanol specific version of their fuel preservative now.

Ethanol fuel ever give any problems? .

I'll mention this because some Z's or ZX's have electric fuel pumps in their fuel tanks.

In my 88 Chevy Pickup - ethanol fuel melted the rubber intake/output hoses on the in-tank mounted electric fuel pump. Over the years I'd changed out all the other rubber fuel lines with newer type fuel lines. Finally around 2010... my wonderful old beauty - which had ran without a problem for 22 years... gave up... yep - the fuel pump died {so I thought}. Not being able to avoid it any longer - I had to lift the bed up off the frame and pull the fuel pump out... a major PIA to say the least.

Once out I could see that the small rubber hoses on the pump looked like they just melted.. black goo was all that was there.

Amazingly - I cleaned everything up - put new hoses on the pump - check that it was running - and put it back in the tank. Fixed for a few cents worth of rubber fuel line!!

Other than that - I've always updated my rubber fuel lines every decade or so - so the ethanol fuel hasn't been a problem.

As I recall however - didn't Nissan have to recall all the Z31's to change out the fuel lines and injectors.. at no charge. Don't recall if that applied to the Z32's or not.

FWIW,

Carl B.

I'll mention this because some Z's or ZX's have electric fuel pumps in their fuel tanks.
Not too familiar with anything beyond a 280ZX but no 75-83 Z or ZX I've ever seen has the fuel pump mounted inside of the tank.

I've change all the gas hoses on the 280z periodically. Back in the 1980s, seem like the gas hoses would spring leaks if you didn't.

Gas lines on my lawn mower melted with the ethanol fuel in less than a year and Lowes swapped the mower for a new one. Also outboard boat motor issues a few years back.

Ethanol has caused so many issues and now I'm hearing they want to increase it to 15%,

They do want to increase ethanol content to UP TO 15%. I see what they are doing and for people that buy new cars every 4 years its fine, us holders of classic cars are the ones getting screwed. Current standards are UP TO 10% but they set that high on purpose so they wouldn't have to relabel a billion gas pumps every year. Currently actual ethanol content is around 6%, I'm pretty sure that was in popular mechanics.