As a small update, the cars away again having the paint sorted. Had to blast the engine bay back to bare metal.....
While its out of the garage I've started on bits that should speed up getting it rolling.
I made a bearing guide on the lathe to support the control arm after bending one myself. Took just over 8 tonnes to press it in!
IMG_4705 by jason spencer, on Flickr
I had a load of stuff plated.
IMG_4701 by jason spencer, on Flickr
Took some advice and just gave a tub full to a company, who cleaned and yellow zinc coated it. Great work and surprisingly cheap. Saved me a couple of days work also. I know the bonnet supports should be body colour but I don't like how the paint can rub off.
IMG_4696 by jason spencer, on Flickr
Finally made my mind up about calipers. It was helped by the fact the replica mk63's aren't being made any more.
1.8kg vs 4kg. The should look very subtle behind the wheels. I'm going to run 280x25mm discs. I'd like discs and bells but the budget won't allow for now, however I think i've found a disc I can use by just redrilling. I'm going to buy the cheapest version I can as a test(£25ish), then go for a quality version once I know I can measure correctly.
IMG_4685-1 by jason spencer, on Flickr
IMG_4687-1 by jason spencer, on Flickr IMG_4707 by jason spencer, on Flickr IMG_4706 by jason spencer, on Flickr
The setup saves 1kg per side which I wasn't expecting given the extra weight of the discs.
Just to compound things. A replacement rear arm i've got has damage/bend and seems to be a couple of mm out so I need an arm again.
I'd like to get all the chassis parts ready to bolt on(ish), when I get the shell back.