IGNORED

Timing Indicator Plate Location

tibZ

I have noticed on every z motor I have pics of the timing indicator tab is located on the passenger side of the car. Mine is on the drivers side. Is this a common place for just the 73? Searched around but can't find an answer. I have a new one for the left side and I think my original was "lost" at the platers, still hunting for it. The notch on the damper is also on the drivers side. What gives?

post-3831-14150805836188_thumb.jpg

The location and style of the timing indicator varied from year to year. I had a spare '73 L24 for a while, and it had the indicator on the left like yours with a single notch on the damper. But both my '71 L24s have/had a simple pointer on the right side with multiple timing marks on the damper. Which you use is no big deal as long as the damper and indicator match.

Yes, I believe it changed for 73. As Arne said the difference is on earlier cars there's a single pointer with multiple notches on the pulley and on later cars there's a single notch on the pulley and an indicator with multiple marks.

Thanks Guys.

Is there a way to figure out how far the differences in notches on the damper would be if I wanted to re-locate it to the right side, or just continue my search for the left side plate?

Thanks Mike

No, That fits the right side. I got that one with the engine bolt kit from Datsun Spirit.

I found my original in a box of parts. It will go out in the next plating run. I found it unusual that all the engines I have looked at had the indicator tab on the right side and mine is on the left. It is a May 73 z. Thanks to all for the input.