TomoHawk's Content - Page 24 - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

TomoHawk

Community Member
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by TomoHawk

  1. TomoHawk replied to SteveJ's topic in Electrical
    Thanks, but I don't think those "LEDs" would work for the S30 gauges, because they are large groups of very high power LEDs put together in a glass tube (like a festoon bulb) to be used in navigation lamps.
  2. TomoHawk replied to SteveJ's topic in Electrical
    BTW- my heater control panel uses a bayonet socket too. The socket fits into a hole in the back of the lever panel. Right now, the socket is loose from switching bulbs so much- It stretched apart at the bayonet slots and I will need to squeeze it back into shape. This is a chinese wedge LED:
  3. TomoHawk replied to SteveJ's topic in Electrical
    Automobiles are going towards the wedge bulbs now, and so the supply of bayonets bulbs might decrease. Plus, it might be easier and better to use the wedge sockets.
  4. TomoHawk replied to SteveJ's topic in Electrical
    Do you think superglue would work? I have "thin" glue which has the consistency of water. You would drip it in to fill it, then give it a shot of the accelerator, or let it sit for a while to cure.
  5. TomoHawk replied to SteveJ's topic in Electrical
    Yeah, that's about it. The chips came off in a big chunk, with the two leads hanging off. That's too bad, because I think those tower-style lamps will do the trick to illuminate gauges- with a bit of hand-painted white paint around the sides.
  6. TomoHawk replied to SteveJ's topic in Electrical
    [oops- double post]
  7. TomoHawk replied to SteveJ's topic in Electrical
    That's what I thought; that little circuit board looked like t would fit into a wedge socket, but the Zed gauges don't use wedge sockets. I usually like to get stuff made in the U.S., because it seems to be of better (man-style) construction. Or is there a way to convert to the wedge sockets for the gauges? BTW- I've also pulled (twisted) the upper "tower" part from a BA9s tower LED bulb, but it took more effort even though it was accidental.
  8. Hopefully the next generation will come out a bit prettier..... (j/k) Anyway, I just finished a new getup that was inspired by the vintage races I go to- you know, MGTCs, old jaguars, Elvas, etc. I got an off-white Dickies jumpsuit and had a nice taylor lady alter it to fit well, sorta like a jogging suit. Then I got some coloured tape and some patches (American flag, embroidered name, Pennzoil, Michelin, etc.) and a custom iron-on transfer of my sponsor (Bronco's Garage.) Using some special fabric glue (for attaching patches to clothing) I coated the coloured tape and ironed it on to add stripes to the chest, arms, and legs, then added the patches, to create a vintage racing-style suit. All I have left to do is to soak the whole thing in the boric acid/borax solution to impart the fire-proofing, like they used to do before there was Nomex.
  9. TomoHawk replied to SteveJ's topic in Electrical
    Be careful about the construction of your LED lamps. I have some that have small circuit boards soldered into the base, and they don't hold up to much force during installation or removal. The little boards just pulled right out leaving the base stuck in the lamp socket.
  10. Mittens are for outdoor winter activities. Driving gloves are for driving, cycling gloves are for cycling, and when you are done with your activity, you take them off. If I were to keep wearing my racing suit or cycling uniform, I'd keep wearing the gloves- albeit, I'd be wearing the stuff on the right venue.
  11. If a cyclist or two is killed in your area, then the legislators and LE people aren't doing their jobs well. Plus the drivers are truly st00pid. A cyclist being killed should be as rare as a nascar driver being killed. Obviously, choosing a safe road to ride is important, but everyone must share the roads equally and safely. A careless driver can make a country parkway a dangerous place.
  12. That's why I quit training & racing myself. One guy on my team was killed, and another was permanently injured. I would need a computer to count the number of near-misses, and a couple I'll never forget. So I converted my turbo to the Minoura ICE system and I can ride miles safely without leaving the house
  13. It was just under 20 LBs. depending on which wheels and tyres you were using.
  14. I found an old photo of my cycling uniform.
  15. Only the best fur! BTW- I recent read a book (Runways & Races) detailing a cooperative in the early 1950s between Gen, LeMay/Air Force and the SCCA to have sportscar racing at air bases. Since many appear to be in less need of use, maybe they can get the races going again, but without the scandal they had. It's a shame not to put those mile-long runways to a good use.
  16. I If I didn't know you, I'd say you were related to the guy in the Datsun Black Gold commercial, or maybe on your way to meet your girl at the disco... A peek through the window doesn't indicate sheepskin seat covers, or a fur-covered fascia (dash.)
  17. That's good. If I can get the bayonet adapters, I can use the 280Z blades as spares. Ironically, nissanpartscheap.com has the highest prices, but only about $1 higher. The other vendors were about the same; $11.80
  18. I ordered a pair of the 3-1/2 inch clamps via eBay.
  19. I finished blocking the BCDD holes, and I completely filled the BCDD cavity with JB Weld. After installing, it worked fine, and I had the usual vacuum for the distributor. The good thing about this is that I don't hear the sucking noise any more. The noise sounded like sucking air through a straw, and was from having the BCDD valve removed.
  20. In stead of looking for compatible blades, what is the length of blade the 240Z uses?
  21. I'm not interested in and worm-drive band clamps. There's a reason you find the wire-type clamps on aircraft- because they work very well, and don't break.
  22. I don't use gloves with metal snaps. I once bumped a metal fence, and it grabbed the snap and made a gash in my skin. I will keep using the Velcro- or elastic-wrist gloves.
  23. No thanks, I use the chromed ones.
  24. That is the clamp, but for the AFM, you need several, so you should be able to get a set instead of having to order a bunch of clamps, like you get sets of stainless screws for the engine, or bulbs for the gauges. Stop by the new chat room:http://www.classiczcars.com/chat/

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.