IGNORED

Break Master Cylinder

mmagnus

I just picked up a brake master cylinder that looks like its made for a '72. The only difference I can tell is the location of the resevoir bottles. The seem to be opposite from each other. Does anyone know weather or not I can use this on my '70z.

Mark

The 240 master cyl has the kinda square in front.That is for the front brakes.The tube, pill bottle, looking is the rear.They are reverse on a 260 mastercyl.The larger (square) reservior is always for front brakes because the disc wear faster and need the extra fluid to take up for wear.You would have to cross your lines to adapt.Not good,fear of kink or break.The inside of the mas/cyl is different from a 240.I wouldn't try swaping the reservior locations.Get the correct part!!While its down I recommend replace your rubber brake as lines well. Stopping is a wonderful thing.One tip,some people top off the mas/cyl as needed.I don't.I have a small mark that when it hits it that means I need brake pads soon.If you top it when you replace the pads the extra fluid must be purged from the mas/cyl or it will overflow everywhere. Have fun!! Daniel

Daniel, you are correct except for one small point. It's not the just the 260 that is different, it's all the cars after the 72 model year. My 71 has the large reservoir on the front yet both my 72's have it to the rear. Don't ask me why they changed it, they just did.

BTW, I had to run out to the garage because after reading your post I got confused since I knew I had seen them both ways. Just had to double check myself. The series 1 has the large one in the front and both my 72's and my 75 280 have it on the rear. Darn it was cold out there......:mad:

Daniel is right, you have to have the one for a 70 or 71. Want the bad news?? MSA's price is 50 bucks more for the 70-71 master cylinder over the 72-76 master cylinder, and VB's price difference is 90 dollars!:tapemouth I know what you are thinking since I really should replace the one on my 71, but I think I might wait till I really have to!:eek:

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. IT LOOKS LIKE THEY WOULD FIT BUT I DONT WANT TO TAKE A CHANCE. I THOUGHT I WAS GETTING A GOOD DEAL ON THIS FOR $56. TURNS OUT I CANT USE IT. ANYONE NEED A GOOD RAYBESTOS REMAN. M/C FOR 72 OR LATER. I WILL LET IT GO FOR WHAT I PAID.

MARK