Which oil pressure sender? - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Which oil pressure sender?

Featured Replies

In the VB catalog I notice that there are different oil pressure senders. One for 70-77 another 78-83. Which one should I use for my 73 with a F54 block from a 81?

Originally posted by Ed

In the VB catalog I notice that there are different oil pressure senders. One for 70-77 another 78-83. Which one should I use for my 73 with a F54 block from a 81?

Probably depends on your wireing harness connection. I just took off the one on my 1978 280Z parts car, and it has a plastic connector with two spade connectors in an "L" pattern. I believe the earlier ones had a single bullet-type connector (my 240 has been disassembled long enough that I don't remember anymore, but I think so). I assume that guages get the same signal from each of them, and I believe that the block "screw in" is the same, so it probably comes down to the connector type.

FWIW

I just put a new one on my 240 and its a bullet plug type , I would use the older sending unit and just attach a new splade style connector , good luck

I am doing the same engine swap and at the moment both engines are an hour away , in storage. So I cannot look . If I remember right when I stripped the engines for storage the oil sending units had different size connection plumbing to the block. In any rate some time ago I read a posting and it was seconded several times by others to use only Nissan senders , for reliability . I am facing the same thing as well . Gary:classic:

the early 240Z's had bullet type connectors. Then '73's up had spade type. not sure about the later 280Z/ZX with a "L" type connector. The post I believe you refer to was about after market senders not being accurate The same post also said that Nissan couldn't make them last more than a couple months.:devious:

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.