IGNORED

What's My 240 Worth?

dsmigas

I own a '73 240 that is in real good shape. No rust... just a little bit on the rocker panel. I put a 5 speed transmission in it and the engine is stock. Runs real well. The car has been painted once... looks good. The dash has one crack in it. I bought the car in 1990 for $2,900.00. All in all the car is real clean, interior pretty good shape. Not sure of the miles, odometer says 80,000 but could be 180,000. I have always wondered what the darn thing is worth. I have no plans on selling it but just wondered... I see cars any where from $3,500 to $15,000!

It all depends what you have done to the car. If you haven't done much besides change the oil and put gas in it then it's probably still worth about 3k. But if you have been busy replacing old bushings, hoses, brakes, engine rebuild, etc...(the list is pretty long). then the price will go up. Those cars you see for 15k have probably been through a complete restoration and have had a lot of work done.

Hope this helps

ED

You first said no rust then a little rust. So there is rust on the car.

Also like Ed says, it depends on what you have done to the car. I bought a very clean and completely rust free 71 from los angeles for 2500.

Location means everything. The cleaner it is and the lack of rust are the biggest factors.

• 1 month later...

Unless u have stripped it to bare metal how do u know it is rust free??? I bought the same model for $7500 supposedly never painted original condition no rust blah blah blah only to find it had been resprayed in acrylic recently and there was rust underneath hiding....... also as we would all say its worth how much the buyer wants to pay or its personal value is to you......

Condition is the number one thing. Rust is the most costly item to cure or repair so rust free is a vary big item. As these cars get older there are fewer and fewer of them around . The prices over the past 3yrs have increase at least 20% and more if in really great shape. It appears that on the east coast the early cars are getting rarer and there for will bring a higher price tag. If things go with the Z as they have with other cars in America in the past the '70 will be worth the most and followed by the '74 because it was made only 1yr , 260, the '70 , it was the first. In order for the cars to be worth the big bucks , they MUST be origional in all respects , no mods, and with the stock color paint , origional paint is best. Other than a Show car , if you want to drive the car then make it how you want it , 5 speed , 280 engine purple paint , what ever floats your boat , just enjoy the ride. If you are looking at the car as an investment , if you make it really nice and do the major work your self and it is 1st class , you will maybe break even. :classic: