IGNORED

salvage title

Franklin

Found an interesting 240 but it has a salvage title. Current owner says he bought it this way and the previous owner said "theft" recovery". What do you all think? It's about $1k and runs but needs a little work. Looks ok though.

Thanks Zlish,

I've been watching those others for a bit now. The one I'm looking at is much closer to my house but still, I'm not thrilled about the salvage title. I basically want a straight body w/o much rust and I'm going to put some nice new brakes and suspension on it and some enging upgrades.

I had a 240 years ago but it got wrecked. I loved the car. I have a '90 twin turbo but looking to sell it as the 240 will be more in the budget range for playing around at the track.

The search goes on.....

Yeah, 240 much cheaper, are you going to AutoX? That is my plan, a little touring Autox once a month. Good luck, check Zcar.com they always have some deals. As a matter of fact there is a black one in L.A. for sale right now for 1200.00 bucks, not a bad looking car either! Anyway, good luck.

Zlish:cool:

That's the one I'm looking at. It looks ok but the guy saws it has the salvaged title and a leaky head gasket. I could pick it up tomorrow but a little worried about the title.

Trying to get into Autocrossing, just need the car now!!

Good advice, Zlish, thanks!

I'm passing on this one and keeping my eyes open. Problem is, the first Autocross event of the season is two weeks away and I don't have a car yet! I thought about taking the 300 twin turbo out to it but don't want to risk any damage on it not to mention the tire wear given it will be up for sale soon.

Maybe I need to get a rental car for the day! ;)

Franklin,

The salvaged title means the car was in the hands of a junk yard at one point. Example, it may mean it was stolen and recovered but the owner did not claim it right away or it could mean it was in an accident and totaled then bought back by the owner. Having a salvaged title will depreciate the resale value of the car but if you intend to modify the car and use it for autocross and track events it still may be a good purchase. Just make sure you go through the usual routine. Drive the car and look it over. Make sure the frame is good and check all the body panels and seams to look for signs of extensive rust or bodywork.

Then contact the CA DMV at http://www.dmv.ca.gov/ or 1(800)777-0133. If you give them the lic. plate or the VIN# they will be able to tell you exactly what it will take to register the car. Be prepared to get a busy signal the first few times you call. I have talked to them a lot recently regarding a few potential purchases and usually held about 5 minutes and found them very helpful. Oh yeah, listen to the phone directory carefully to get to an attendant.

You shouldn't have much problem as long as the registration is current.