petronix - Electrical - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

petronix

Featured Replies

I am trying to install a petronix unit in my Z, but am having a bit of trouble. I think I have most of it installed properly, but I can't figure out where the wiring passes trough the dist. cap. The instructions say that there is no modification of the dist. neccessary... Can you tell me what I'm missing?

thanks

Matt

Pass the wires thru the slit that the points wires went through

Good luck,

Dave

You use the small "notch" where the wire to the points used to go. When looking at the distributor from standing at the drivers fender looking across the car, it is at 12 o'clock.

Here's a picture showing where AI mean to route the Pertronix wires into the Distributor.

(original picture from member "Zs-ondabrain", & modified by me)

  • Author

That's what I was afraid of. Does the dist. have to be removed to do it. When I was trying to figure this out I was looking at that and I don't think I can get to it without removing the dist. That little cylinder shaped piece is the compressor? So I just take everything in the back there off, put the wires through and the little rubber grommet should fit?

Thanks for all the help guys

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
Originally posted by malder

That's what I was afraid of. Does the dist. have to be removed to do it. When I was trying to figure this out I was looking at that and I don't think I can get to it without removing the dist. That little cylinder shaped piece is the compressor? So I just take everything in the back there off, put the wires through and the little rubber grommet should fit?

Thanks for all the help guys

That cylinder is the condenser , and YES, you can easily remove the distributor by loosening the two bolts that hold it to the timing cover. Just make sure that you have the engine at Top Dead Center (shown in the picture), and the pull the Distrubutor out. Don't rotate the engine while the distributor is not installed. Do your work and re-install it with the rotor oriented in EXACTLY the same direction. Make your wiring connections, "Time" the engine and your done.

I just wanted to add that the dizzy can be removed in any engine position. It will only go back on one way...that is in time with the motor. Now if you dissasemble it completely, have too many beers and cannont remember the orintation of the dist cam...then you could have problems...LOL

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.