IGNORED

Disk upgrade all around on the old 240Z

speedyblue

OK I have searched a few web sites but I still can't find exactly what I am after.

I want to put the Toyota 4 spot with vented disks on the front and a 1982 280zx setup on the rear instead of the drums.

I have a complete 1982 280zx to steal stuff from, so I can get rear discs and calipers and master cylinder/booster if needed.

I would also like to use the handbrake cable off the 280zx because my 240Z one has snapped clean.

Making up any brackets/spacers won't be a problem. Is the backing plate detailed in the IZCC 240sx brake upgrade the same as the one I will need? I am not sure of the similarities between these as we don't have 240sx's over here.

What Australian cars do the Toyota calipers come from and what else do I need? What year 300zx discs must I use.

If anyone can point me in the right direction before I start pulling things apart, it would be very much appreciated.

Also, will the stock nissan six spoke alloys off the 280zx fit over the toyota caliper setup? I like the look of them, but if they have to go, they have to go.

Thanks

Scott

We don't have 240sx's over here.

We havve 180sx's and i expect its the same, since the 240sx is a 180sx with a different engine.

Theres another thread that W.A.ZED started. Hes doing the disc brake conversion. He used a maxima backing plate, and tinks the 84 skyline plate could be used also

Toyota 4 spot calipers were on the Hilux.

The '84 Skyline has no backing plate. The caliper mounting tabs are welded to the control arm.

The LN65 Hilux calipers are only suited to the non-vented setup. The later model 4-Runner calipers suit the vented disc, but I'm not 100% which ones.

Looks like I'm going to have to visit the toyota wreckers and have a bit of a chat.

There was a really good article on the web somewhere where someone goes through the toyota conversion in pretty good detail, but I can't find it anymore. It included details like what number would be on the calipers, including the different number for the 'wide' caliper to fit the vented discs.

If anyone knows the site it would be really helpful.

Thanks

Scott

any toyota wrecker will know the two different calipers the non vented calipers are on early hilux's and had s12 on them the later hilux's all run the vented calipers i have run bob set ups used the later vented calipers on falcon discs and cut the standard caliper mount off made up new mounts that bolt to the disc cover mounting holes (threaded out to larger bolts) easy conversion and works great the vented calipers have bigger pad area and bigger pistons can send pics and any more details you need

theres a toyota 4wd wrecker in south australia last time i got a set of vented calipers they where $150 a pair good late model calipers cant think of there name but if you need let me know sure id have it here somewhere.

Mick

any hilux 4 spot calipers to suit solid disc will bolt up to standard zed mounts and discs

hilux calipers to suit vented discs later models can be used in a conversion but will require new mounts and vent discs be they cl valaint falcon or knew someone running pugeot discs

i found the falcon the best

Mick

Mick

Could you post some pics of falcon set up and any other details.

I was going to use Toyota calipers and DBA slotted and drilled rotors.But if I can use Ford style rotors Im sure the DBA rotors would be a lot cheaper?

Thanks

Nick