IGNORED

Fuel tank overflow problem

Murph

Originally posted by Datto-Zed

Just got the car back! Finally! It's been almost 8 months off the road.

Anyway...

I've just a quick look under the back and it appears the only way I'm going to be able to even check where it's leaking from, will be to drop the tank.

Someone please tell me there's another nice quick and easy solution! :D

"there's another nice quick and easy solution!" Err, well; not really. Sorry.

It isn't a really difficult job, but it does take some time and thought the first time you go at it. If you are going to attempt this yourself, ask for help on the site. I've seen several folks post information about having done this job.

Dont think you will be able to see anything without dropping the tank completely.

I've pulled the tank off my 240z. Could send you a photo so you know what you are dealing with before you attempt it if you like.

If you remove the rear internal trim pannel you'll be able to see the vent pipe. It goes through a grommet down to the fuel tank.

Its probably perished where it goes on to the tank, if its leaking where you say it is.

I had a similar problem with a commodore. It had little hoses all over the top of the tank to let pressure equalise i guess, but they had all split, so if i filled the tank too much it would just leak out. And the petrol guage didnt work, so it was a real pain. I pulled the tank, replaced the hoses, and removed the sender guage, unhooked the anti petrol theft coil that had fallen into the tank and wrapped itself areoung the float. Put it all back together, and no more leaks and the petrol guage was working again.

There is a write up on replacing the Fuel Vent Hoses. It does not describe in detail the removal and installation, but gives great ideas for ways to save on the expense of buying OEM hoses which can be VERY expensive. Has good pictures of the hoses, etc.

Dr. Joe Demers Fuel Vent Hose Repair Article

NOTE: This was written based on a US Model Z car. I don't believe there would be much (if any) difference to other Z's with the Vapor Recovery Tank system. The article was featured in one of the first issues of Sport Z Magazine

Thanks bambi. I've had a quick squiz at that and looks like a pretty good guide to follow. Also...I'll have to check the condition of the grommets around the breather lines where they come into the cabin. It'd probably explain the amount of fumes I have in the car despite having sealed up just about everything else!